MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Almost fried my CPU
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So i have a Phenom II x4 955 with a stock cooler and the temps are pretty bad.

Had to resort to other methods in cooling the system down. I enabled Cool n Quiet which basically downclocks the CPU when idle to 800mhz and less and 1,04 voltage or less.
That brought my temps down, but my stock cooler working at 6000rpm is noisy as hell so using SpeedFan i decrease the speed.

While reading some stuff on wiki i noticed my fan speed had increased...i quickly realize something is wrong and look at the temps...CPU Temp is 77C and Core temp was 80C.
I said to myself "Oh my god" hurry and look why cool n quiet is not working and it seems svchost.exe was eating resources thus preventing downclock. Had i not reacted fast enough i would have fried the CPU and wait a month for a replacement
And i had similar problem. It seems SpeedFan and "Sleep" in Windows don't like each other. I brought Windows back from Sleep and i hear a buzzing sound from the speaker. That was the Fan Fail warning i previously enabled in BIOS to alert me if the fan stops. Had it not been enabled = fried cpu. So leaving SpeedFan running while Hibernating or Sleep is not a good idea

Now to be on the safe side i had enabled the System Temp warning to warn me if it reaches 70C
If your CPU gets above 80C (I think it's 80.. might be off by a little) it automatically shuts down to prevent damage. You will also get a BSOD as a result.

Try taking off the cooler, removing the thermal pad, and applying proper thermal paste? You can get it at most computer stores for like $8. Or buy Artic Silver 5 off newegg for $9.
I can't do that at least for the next 2 and a half years. Still has warranty Wink
Uhh that wouldn't void the warranty?
It would, since the stuff was assembled by a tech guy, there is this sticker on the case which prevents opening. If i remove it - boom, no warranty
(2010-09-10, 05:03 PM)dikidera Wrote: [ -> ]It would, since the stuff was assembled by a tech guy, there is this sticker on the case which prevents opening. If i remove it - boom, no warranty

Then you need to chew him out for not properly maintaining the thermal integrity of your system, and claim it under warranty. Then find someone more reliable next time to build your system.

(2010-09-10, 10:20 AM)Anman Wrote: [ -> ]If your CPU gets above 80C (I think it's 80.. might be off by a little) it automatically shuts down to prevent damage. You will also get a BSOD as a result.

Try taking off the cooler, removing the thermal pad, and applying proper thermal paste? You can get it at most computer stores for like $8. Or buy Artic Silver 5 off newegg for $9.

The shutdown thermal level is different for every CPU, as are their thermal tolerances. Also, many BIOS allow you to modify this temp. However, it can still result in damage to your CPU. I lot a machine that way (An Athlon XP 3000+ from before I learned how to do hardware myself) and it sucked.
Well, no doubt there is damage. My CPU's life just went down after the stunt(probably).
So i re-enabled all safety measures this time
(2010-09-10, 06:01 PM)dikidera Wrote: [ -> ]Well, no doubt there is damage. My CPU's life just went down after the stunt(probably).
So i re-enabled all safety measures this time

I run all my CPUs pretty hot all the time too. I am an active member of the Folding@Home project from Stanford Uni. This means I'm at 100% CPU usage 99% of the time.

I've also found that Arctic Silver 5 is outperformed by GELID, which also happens to be cheaper (compared via Newegg) and comes with a nicer applicator. Big Grin And then there's the GELID Extreme for gaming/high performance machines
>I am an active member of the Folding@Home project from Stanford Uni. This means I'm at 100% CPU usage 99% of the time.

I was under the impression that F@H was only particularly intensive on the GPU, care to elaborate?
I tried Folding at home as well, but it said it didn't support my GPU