MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Where Can I Learn To Make Plugins?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Im okay at support and fixing errors and etc, but i would like to go a step futher and make plugins. All the guides tell me how to make a function hello_activate() and tells me nothing about commands that go within.

My first plugin will move one section of a template to another section, so commands like that would be handy.

Im basically looking for the best way to learn!
I am learning by modifying existing plugins and googling php codes.
Here for the basic idea: http://community.mybb.com/thread-16697.html

Then just take apart plugins to find out how different things work Smile
Learn PHP, then you will know how to make plugins.
I learned php, but understanding the plugin system required extra reading Smile
Learn PHP it will help, but you can also look at other plugins, mainly the "Hello World" one.
(2010-09-10, 07:23 AM)Tommyk Wrote: [ -> ]I learned php, but understanding the plugin system required extra reading Smile

Yes, php won't explain the plugin system but you'll need php to do anything with the plugin system Big Grin.
(2010-09-10, 12:53 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-09-10, 07:23 AM)Tommyk Wrote: [ -> ]I learned php, but understanding the plugin system required extra reading Smile

Yes, php won't explain the plugin system but you'll need php to do anything with the plugin system Big Grin.
Not true. I understood the plugin system first and made my first plugin with very few php knowledge.

I have looked at some simple plugins and can't understand why "plugin_activate" and "plugin_deactive" functions have no code within them.
They are just empty
(2010-09-10, 01:00 PM)dikidera Wrote: [ -> ]I have looked at some simple plugins and can't understand why "plugin_activate" and "plugin_deactive" functions have no code within them.
They are just empty
Because maybe such plugins do not have e.g. to add data to the database.

The plugin works directly when mybb is run.
Pages: 1 2