MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Database Backup Notes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,
I searched in the forum, but could not find a suggestion like this previously submitted.

I frequently use MyBB's database backup feature in the AdminCP when I'm doing a lot of template changes, that way if I make a mistake, I can simply "undo" my changes by restoring a backup. I usually create a backup by having it automatically generated in my backup directory folder on my website.

It would be very useful to me if I was able to "title" or add "notes" about the backup that I am generating. That way when I am creating a backup, I can add a note like "Backup created before altering Portal HTML" or something of that nature.

I would love to see this feature included in the next major release.

Perhaps this can be integrated with regards to the filenames given to the backups. Right now they're seemingly random. If we were able to simply give them a prefix of choice (as you mentioned, for example, ThemeChanges1_), that would work.
If it's just about templates / css, you could export your theme (including css), and import the very same theme under a different name, and run your experiments on that copy of the theme only. The exported theme is also easier to restore and does not take as much time to create as an entire forum backup.

Alternatively, download the backup instead of storing it on the server, and give it a name of your choice.
(2010-09-13, 10:41 AM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]If it's just about templates / css, you could export your theme (including css), and import the very same theme under a different name, and run your experiments on that copy of the theme only. The exported theme is also easier to restore and does not take as much time to create as an entire forum backup.

Alternatively, download the backup instead of storing it on the server, and give it a name of your choice.

That is definitely true but for simple quick and easy backups, I think notes would definitely be a good addition.
I agree this could be quite useful. Actually everything in this thread would be good. Naming scheme, downloading, and notes would all be good core features.