MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Guests posts displayed only after approval.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don't want my users to face CAPTCHA as my forum ins in a very early stage. But neither want spam bots to publish links as well.

So I want to let guests post without captcha which can be enables. But this makes certain posts vulnerable to spam.

So is there a way I can allow guest posts to be displayed only after approval ?
You'd need a plugin for that but I don't see the point really; you may as well just get them to sign up. Letting guests post but making them require approval won't be any better than having a CAPTCHA, because they're not going to be able to even see the post they make.
i don't think it is possible by default. I never saw such a setting in the ACP.
Thanks Matt

The point is, captcha is either enabled or disabled for guests and registration as a whole not separately. i would love to have captcha on guest post but not on registration. Is there a setting for that on ACP ?

Thanks Nayar

Is there a way to implement simple maths spam captcha or one like I asked here ?

http://community.mybb.com/thread-78258.html

Any help is appreciated !!!
There's no setting for that but that's a bad idea too. If you have no CAPTCHA on registration you'll just get flooded with spam bots. You're not going to have a forum made up entirely of guest posts are you.

If people register with a CAPTCHA it's far less work than having to post as a guest and enter a CAPTCHA every single time, or have their posts approved every single time.

If you want your forum to grow, guests posting isn't really the best way to go about it.
I agree with you Matt. People are more easy to comment as I've seen on my wordpress blogs but registration is not something people are willing to do may be due to an almost empty forum. I wanted to know the options available on MyBB as i am quite new to it.

Thanks again!!

Any thoughts on a simple captcha like fancy captcha or math comment spam or custom questions like phpBB allows ?
(2010-09-13, 04:17 PM)srinivasmbbs Wrote: [ -> ]So is there a way I can allow guest posts to be displayed only after approval ?
I want to do this too. It is not a bad idea.
Hope you develop this Nayar when your exaams are over Smile
You really don't think guests are going to be put off by the fact that it'll look like the stuff they've posted has been lost?? I really don't see the problem in a single CAPTCHA on registration, then you don't have to approve anything. Allowing guests to post with no CAPTCHA by making all posts require moderation will not help your forum grow.

I mean it's your forum but that's my advice. If I went to a forum, posted a guest, and none of my replies were visible, I wouldn't go back, whereas I would register and fill out a single CAPTCHA; I think that applies to most people. Guest posting rarely helps build a community.
I want this done as well, I get 100s of guest visits day, I'd love for guests to be able to post, but I don't want the post to show until its approved, CAPTCHA or NO CAPTCHA does not matter.