MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: World Events Community
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Oh FFS, Grow up! I'm sick of all this bickering on these forums.

And please refrain from using indecent words.
(2010-09-14, 08:56 PM)Lithium Wrote: [ -> ]Oh FFS, Grow up! I'm sick of all this bickering on these forums.

And please refrain from using indecent words.

Hear Hear! Smile
(2010-09-14, 08:50 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]Fair enough though. You've obviously decided to ignore any constructive feedback, so I'll leave you to your forum.
I'm not ignoring it, but you make your points insultingly. I actually found it upsetting that you could say the logo was a '90's logo, when it wasn't. I also found it upsetting that you generalised my site to be a news discussion board, when it so clearly isn't.

I would like it if you did not participate in this thread further.

Any other volunteers wish to give some feedback?
I think you have an interesting premise. Right now since your site is relatively low in stats, I think you should streamline the forums you have. Having way too many forums, makes your site look very inactive.

Also, I think there needs to be a greater emphasis on the events that you wish to discuss. It looks like only about 1/3 of the forums you have are actually related to your website's overall subject.

I like the theme (even though it is not original) and I think the logo you have matches it nicely. While it is not the best looking logo I have seen, it looks just fine.

If you further customize the site and try to put a greater emphasis on the subject matter, you will do great!

Just my two cents.
Your domain confuses me. worldevents-forum.org.uk. To me this would stop me from joining. Either this is aimed directly at getting people in the UK about the world outside it, or just a UK news.

Regardless theme wise, the logo is your only problem, as Brad said.

Your using the Marquee element. Its been deprecated by W3C. I would suggest using an Jquery code. Its much cleaner anyways, for example. http://remysharp.com/demo/marquee.html

You have posts, try starting a little more heated discussions though. A forum like yours has an easy potentional to catch a user like me. If you had a discussion that gets everyone in their tales, they might all run in and join to put there own pot.

All and all very well done. I haven't given this much feedback in a while, so it shows you've got a chance.
(2010-09-15, 01:04 PM)Kodaks Wrote: [ -> ]I think you have an interesting premise. Right now since your site is relatively low in stats, I think you should streamline the forums you have. Having way too many forums, makes your site look very inactive.

Also, I think there needs to be a greater emphasis on the events that you wish to discuss. It looks like only about 1/3 of the forums you have are actually related to your website's overall subject.

I like the theme (even though it is not original) and I think the logo you have matches it nicely. While it is not the best looking logo I have seen, it looks just fine.

If you further customize the site and try to put a greater emphasis on the subject matter, you will do great!

Just my two cents.
Thanks for these comments Smile

(2010-09-15, 02:39 PM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]Your domain confuses me. worldevents-forum.org.uk. To me this would stop me from joining. Either this is aimed directly at getting people in the UK about the world outside it, or just a UK news.
It's world-events.org.uk. I was going to get world-events.com, but it was taken Sad

Quote:Regardless theme wise, the logo is your only problem, as Brad said.

Your using the Marquee element. Its been deprecated by W3C. I would suggest using an Jquery code. Its much cleaner anyways, for example. http://remysharp.com/demo/marquee.html
One of our members is making a smaller logo.
I use a News Ticker plugin, that was meant for 1.4, but I edited it for 1.6

Quote:You have posts, try starting a little more heated discussions though. A forum like yours has an easy potentional to catch a user like me. If you had a discussion that gets everyone in their tales, they might all run in and join to put there own pot.
I will be creating a section for discussion about the Recession, since I'll be able to talk about what is happening in your own country Smile

Quote:All and all very well done. I haven't given this much feedback in a while, so it shows you've got a chance.
Thanks very much, I've taken all your comments on board Smile
I would get rid of the subdomain "forum" on your website. It makes your domain look very confusing. Since the forum makes up your entire website, I think the forum should simply be in your root directory (/).
For the logo: try using a transparent background, some light colored text and maybe an illustration of the earth, just try not to have a black background, but instead make it so it merges with the rest of the forum.

Considering that is a news discussion forum, maybe a "Popular Posts" or "Latest Threads" box would work nicely, and actually be useful, a lot of forums have them and I think yours would benefit from it.

I agree with Kodaks about the name.
(2010-09-15, 04:55 PM)Kodaks Wrote: [ -> ]I would get rid of the subdomain "forum" on your website. It makes your domain look very confusing. Since the forum makes up your entire website, I think the forum should simply be in your root directory (/).

I am working on trying to get a front page at world-events.org.uk set up, but I've been rather busy and had no time to do so.
You could simply have the forum's index.php as your front page for the time being. Using a subdomain for the forum, and then having your site's homepage without a subdomain might not be good for your SEO. Try getting rid of the subdomain altogether.

http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/071210-095057
(2010-09-15, 05:23 PM)Kodaks Wrote: [ -> ]You could simply have the forum's index.php as your front page for the time being. Using a subdomain for the forum, and then having your site's homepage without a subdomain will not be good for your SEO. Try getting rid of the subdomain altogether.
I'll have a go, but I've already submitted the subdomain to search engines, so I don't particularly want to remove it. What I could do is put portal.php on the front page (/) and keeps the forums at /forum
Pages: 1 2