MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Populating a message board
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Good afternoon,

I have, until very recently, had a Facebook page that got out of hand, switched to a 'news forum' and found that very unsatisfactory. I have a database of almost 5,000 posters who want to participate in an online forum. Is there anyway of taking, with their permission, the data we hold and populating a message board so that all they have to do is log on?

I am very new here, but if there isn't a solution then we may be forced to ask all 5,000 to reregister and will lose some in the process.

Any help gratefully received

Uncle H

What software are you currently using for the forum?
(2010-09-18, 06:57 PM)AJS Wrote: [ -> ]What software are you currently using for the forum?

The data is currently on the web but I have extracted it as an XLS file so it is capable of being used in a variety of ways, it has all the 'normal stuff, name, surname, email etc.

Uncle H

Moved to Merge Support as this is sort of what this is, Dylan is probably the best person to help you with this. Smile
(2010-09-18, 07:06 PM)uncleheFTy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-09-18, 06:57 PM)AJS Wrote: [ -> ]What software are you currently using for the forum?

The data is currently on the web but I have extracted it as an XLS file so it is capable of being used in a variety of ways, it has all the 'normal stuff, name, surname, email etc.

Uncle H

Ok, but what software did that come from? We have a Merge System that will take information directly from several different databases and put it into MyBB. Also, for things MyBB does not intend to support with the official merge system I write custom modules for on Skin City Designs, for reasonable rates. Directly from an Excel file like that is going to require a lot of manual work on your part to set it up for import into a MyBB Database.
(2010-09-19, 04:29 PM)Dylan M. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-09-18, 07:06 PM)uncleheFTy Wrote: [ -> ]

Uncle H

Ok, but what software did that come from? We have a Merge System that will take information directly from several different databases and put it into MyBB. Also, for things MyBB does not intend to support with the official merge system I write custom modules for on Skin City Designs, for reasonable rates. Directly from an Excel file like that is going to require a lot of manual work on your part to set it up for import into a MyBB Database.
Thanks for responding, can you give me an idea of what kind of prep work is required - I'm quite proficient (says he hiding his light under a couple of bushels), and then what kind of cost are we talking of?

You can PM me if you prefer.

Ta
Uncle H

I can't tell you anything w/out knowing what database (software) you were using before. Smile

If you want to import it by hand, its a matter of adjusting the schema to match MyBB's. For example we don't have a "Surname" field in the db.
(2010-09-19, 04:45 PM)Dylan M. Wrote: [ -> ]I can't tell you anything w/out knowing what database (software) you were using before. Smile

If you want to import it by hand, its a matter of adjusting the schema to match MyBB's. For example we don't have a "Surname" field in the db.

OK, I'm having difficulty identifying the fields that I should use - my data has the following:
First Name, Surname, email, postcode, date joined, what do I need to match with?