MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Backup from 1.4 and update to 1.6?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Alright, I'm quite the newb when it comes to hosting, and I have a question. I discontinued my hosting service for about a month now. If I still have my domain, can I re-host the domain and back up my 1.4 board? Or will it already be there without having to back it up? After backing it up I plan on upgrading to 1.6.

Thanks for all the help in advanced!
We have no way of knowing if it'll still be there or not, you'd need to ask your host about that. If you don't already have a backup, and it's not there when you start the hosting again which, to be honest, it probably won't be, you'd need to start again... if your hosting account wasn't closed as such it might still be there but that's not something we can answer.
(2010-09-21, 10:47 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]We have no way of knowing if it'll still be there or not, you'd need to ask your host about that. If you don't already have a backup, and it's not there when you start the hosting again which, to be honest, it probably won't be, you'd need to start again... if your hosting account wasn't closed as such it might still be there but that's not something we can answer.

Ah, okay, thanks. Good thing I have a back-up. :-)

Now my real question. How would I go about backing it up once I re-host? What do I do with the .sql file? Sorry this kind of turned off-topic from 1.6, but I do plan on upgrading once I back it up.
In phpMyAdmin, which should be in your host control panel, you should have a list of databases on the left. Choose yours, and then click the Import tab along the top. Browse for your backup file, click Go, and it'll import it. Then follow these instructions to upgrade it to 1.6: [Wiki: Upgrading] (Broken link, head over to docs.mybb.com instead)

Slightly confused by your wording though; you said 'How would I go about backing it up' and 'I do plan on upgrading once I back it up'... from this it sounds like you've not got a backup yet, unless I'm just misreading what you're saying...
(2010-09-21, 11:16 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]In phpMyAdmin, which should be in your host control panel, you should have a list of databases on the left. Choose yours, and then click the Import tab along the top. Browse for your backup file, click Go, and it'll import it. Then follow these instructions to upgrade it to 1.6: [Wiki: Upgrading] (Broken link, head over to docs.mybb.com instead)

Slightly confused by your wording though; you said 'How would I go about backing it up' and 'I do plan on upgrading once I back it up'... from this it sounds like you've not got a backup yet, unless I'm just misreading what you're saying...

I'm trying to back up my 1.4 board and then once I do that, I want to upgrade to 1.6 if that makes sense.
Right, so you've not currently got a backup saved on your computer then...?? Your database will probably be gone when you reactivate your hosting.
(2010-09-21, 11:41 PM)ElephantShoe Wrote: [ -> ]I'm trying to back up my 1.4 board and then once I do that, I want to upgrade to 1.6 if that makes sense.

this is very confusing do you or do you not have a backup of the files from earlier posts it seems you have a database backup. are you trying to get a backup of your 1.4 or trying to restore it back to the server.
I got it working guys, thanks! I'm sorry it was a little confusing.