MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to change Google description? PLEASE HELP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
When I google my website, progeekforums.net, its discription is all weird. How do I change it?
[Image: 30214613.png]

Thanks
In your headerinclude template (under Ungrouped templates) add something like this;

<meta name="description" content="A blurb to describe the content of the page appears here" />
I dont see that in mine. I see when I open templates:

Themes
Defulat
Red Eclispse
Ok opitions edit theme
gobal User
usercp
modcp
star_rating
showthread

Which one is it under?
No that's the CSS for your themes. Click the Templates link on the left, then then template set for your theme, and scroll down to the bottom to the Ungrouped Templates Set.
For the main page, you want the index template, not the headerinclude. Google will doesn't like the description if it's identical on every page. For threads etc. you'll need a plugin that does descriptions for each thread.
Ok here is what I am seeing when I google my website:
Motorscooters - BugsSep 19, 2010 ... Motor Scooter [Bugs]. Motorscooters. Current time: 09-21-2010, 04:03 PM Hello There, Guest! (Login — Register) ...
www.motorscooter.eahosters.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=34 - Cached

How do I change that? I probably need a step by step intruction because I am still a little new at this.
(2010-09-22, 02:27 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]For the main page, you want the index template, not the headerinclude. Google will doesn't like the description if it's identical on every page. For threads etc. you'll need a plugin that does descriptions for each thread.
Thanks, I just used your instructions and made a description!
(2010-09-22, 02:30 PM)Noreturn Wrote: [ -> ]Ok here is what I am seeing when I google my website:
Motorscooters - BugsSep 19, 2010 ... Motor Scooter [Bugs]. Motorscooters. Current time: 09-21-2010, 04:03 PM Hello There, Guest! (Login — Register) ...
www.motorscooter.eahosters.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=34 - Cached

How do I change that? I probably need a step by step intruction because I am still a little new at this.

ACP >> Templates & Style >> Templates >> *yourtheme* >> Index Templates >> index

Find:
<title>{$mybb->settings['bbname']}</title>

Add after:
<meta name="description" content="A blurb to describe the content of the page appears here" />

If you want dynamic meta descriptions for threads and forums you'll need a plugin, Google SEO does this as well as many other things.
(2010-09-22, 02:27 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]For the main page, you want the index template, not the headerinclude. Google will doesn't like the description if it's identical on every page. For threads etc. you'll need a plugin that does descriptions for each thread.

Good point never thought of that Toungue
I did that and nothing happened for some reason.
Pages: 1 2