MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: want to shift from phpbb3.07
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello MyBB team,
I am Dr Ankur from India. we have been running for more than 2.5 years on phpbb3 but now want to shift to a forum better than that.. as basically we are concern with security issues.

Frankly we surf the net and found SMF and MyBB are alterantives. and MyBB team is very friendly and honest.
so decided to to post here itself. (even though asking about SMF also)

I want to know:
1. how secure is MyBB than phpbb3 or SMF is more secure
2. how MyBB is feature wise comparable to SMF 2 (I know it has more features than phpbb3)
3. How will you compare the backup and upgrade of MyBB & SMF with phpbb3 in terms of managing and ease.
4. Can we get look like the current MyBB site (its really very professional)

Hope to get reply, posted with good hope (after surfing almost 2 days on net).
1. We wouldn't release MyBB with security issues Smile
2. Don't really know the ins-and-outs of SMF2, but we've had a lot of people want to convert to MyBb after using SMF 2.
3. Backups are easily taken in the ACP. To upgrade, just upload the changed files package that's provided, and sometimes run the upgrade script. No manual core file edits or anything.
4. The header here is just HTML, you can create whatever sort of header you like.
as expected .. super fast reply....

well we are 90% convinced to merge to MyBB (atleast will take a test) in a day or 2. (just want to have a look more on SMF..

hoping for nice support in merging.
also want to know, can we put google ads in our forum or there is any mod / plugin for it..
There's plugins for it, or you can add the code for the ads directly to the templates.
(2010-09-26, 02:07 PM)drankur Wrote: [ -> ]2. how MyBB is feature wise comparable to SMF 2 (I know it has more features than phpbb3)

Mybb has many more core features than smf 2.0
(2010-09-26, 02:56 PM)adbrad Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-09-26, 02:07 PM)drankur Wrote: [ -> ]2. how MyBB is feature wise comparable to SMF 2 (I know it has more features than phpbb3)

Mybb has many more core features than smf 2.0

thanks for helping but can you please elaborate ( or a brief ) on this like 2-3 examples
well it has a better reputation system where you can set how many points each user group can give.
can limit the number of poll options a user can enter.
can see who voted for what option on polls thats 3 just off the top of my head
also the mybb user cp is similar to that of vbulletins and is better layed out that smfs in my opinion.
thanks adbrad
also I would be very thankful if u tell about a bit about security system also.

as phpbb3 forum got attacked 2 times .. in which all index files were replaced by a turkish hacker.. hosting says that it entered through base64_decode function

we basically want to shift because of security mainly.
Can't really tell you much about that except in the 2 months i have had mybb i moved from smf have had no issues.
thanks buddy , i hope support team elaborate a bit on this.
(2010-09-26, 06:39 PM)adbrad Wrote: [ -> ]Can't really tell you much about that except in the 2 months i have had mybb i moved from smf have had no issues.

also can u tell why you moved to MyBB from SMF
Currently: Installed MyBB, send statistics and now looking it admin panel
Pages: 1 2 3