MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Large bot registrations number
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all.

Even I have Recaptcha installed on my forum, there is an average of 4,5 new registrations per day which are obvious to be bot registration.

Can anyone give me a piece of advice on how to stop this?

Many thanks in advance!
Thank you, I'll give it a try.

Have a nice one!
Try changing the way members are activated. Don't give them a link in their email, instead make them fill in some things to activate their account.

There are many spam plugins, the one posted above is the best however Wink
I'll consider making this change in the user registration, too. Thanks!
(2010-09-27, 09:26 AM)Conor Calby Wrote: [ -> ]Try changing the way members are activated. Don't give them a link in their email, instead make them fill in some things to activate their account.

How can I do this?

The plugin mentioned above does not work with mybb 1.6, unfortunately.
(2010-09-27, 09:26 AM)Conor Calby Wrote: [ -> ]Try changing the way members are activated. Don't give them a link in their email, instead make them fill in some things to activate their account.

I hijack this thread to continue this discussion...

Let's say I want to do something like mentioned above. I want to remove the activation "link" to plain text that the user has to copy himself to his browser in order to activate (for example put the link without http:// and inside qoute signs). I also have to add/change some text to the email to explain the procedure to the user. So how can this be done?

Are you sure they are bots and not human spammers?
Who knows, but I thought this could make life a little more difficult to the spammersWink
It will also make life more difficult for your legitimate users.