MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: __MACOSX folder
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm starting to develop themes for MyBB, and I was trying to set an infrastructure for the packages. I've seen a __MACOSX folder in some themes and it's quite common in icon packages too. Toungue From my understanding, that folder contains the same files in some sort of Mac format which are to be uploaded to a Mac server (I'm guessing the normal files can only be used on Windows or Unix servers). Is that correct? Smile

Anyways, can I make a folder myself without owning a Mac? Is there a tool I can use to do that? Would be great if it was available on multiple operating systems, as I am switching to Linux soon. Big Grin

Thanks.
Your understanding is only partially correct. Its a stupid thing added by the Mac OSX compression software and is totally unnecessary. You can safely ignore it.
For more information, this is a good article
http://floatingsun.net/2007/02/07/whats-...zip-files/

And for those using Mac's, here's how to make it stop!
http://wuhrr.wordpress.com/2007/07/15/ho...sx-folder/
I never knew that, wow
I was about to write what Dylan wrote lol. By the way it's useless, I just don't remove it from my themes because I'm lazy Toungue
You don't see it on MACs, for example on MAC you can't see the .htaccess files too!
Doesn't the folder contain the details for the folder, Like the folder icon ect..
From my understanding it's the information the Mac reads such as folder info, folder icon, programs, etc.

Like my external hard drive has a Max OSX folder and a Windows Folder. They serve different purposes. But you could get away without them.
Its simply metadata to give Mac OSX users an "Enhanced" experience. Its worthless.
Windows has the same thing.

And aggreed, useless.
(2010-09-29, 01:17 AM)Lyndon D. Wrote: [ -> ]Windows has the same thing.

And aggreed, useless.

Mine doesn't Toungue
But then again, on Windoze I use WinZip Pro 14 Big Grin
Screw the stupid standard Windoze zip handling included in the OS
Pages: 1 2