MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Importing Yahoo group members.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,
I am the creator of a Yahoo forum (mail list) that approximately 200 members have been using for a number of years. We are now looking at moving over to a MyBB forum I have created. There are 2 questions I would like answered, if possible.

1/. Is it possible to import our existing members list from Yahoo, creating the same user names and email addresses?

2/. Is it possible to import the various threads/posts/topics from this Yahoo forum?

Regards,
Brett.Huh
Unless they let you export the database or anything similar..
No
Yahoo allows you to export the membership details as data like this:

'adrian9172615','[email protected]','','-','','','Individual Emails','','Normal','8/13/2007','Default'
'adrianmi1','[email protected]','','-','','','Special Notices','','Normal','1/16/2010','Traditional'
'aireys04','[email protected]','','-','','','No Email','','Normal','7/22/2006','Default'
'alidaltd8','[email protected]','','-','','','Individual Emails','','Normal','3/8/2008','Fully Featured'

Can this be utilised in any way...?

Regards,
Brett.

(2010-09-29, 05:47 AM)laeresh Wrote: [ -> ]Unless they let you export the database or anything similar..
No

(2010-09-29, 07:18 AM)Whirlwind1 Wrote: [ -> ]Yahoo allows you to export the membership details as data like this:

'adrian9172615','[email protected]','','-','','','Individual Emails','','Normal','8/13/2007','Default'
'adrianmi1','[email protected]','','-','','','Special Notices','','Normal','1/16/2010','Traditional'
'aireys04','[email protected]','','-','','','No Email','','Normal','7/22/2006','Default'
'alidaltd8','[email protected]','','-','','','Individual Emails','','Normal','3/8/2008','Fully Featured'

Can this be utilised in any way...?

Regards,
Brett.

(2010-09-29, 05:47 AM)laeresh Wrote: [ -> ]Unless they let you export the database or anything similar..
No

Yes, you'll need to write a script to parse the data you get from yahoo and enter it in to mybb. You will not be able to import the passwords so you will have to send them emails with temporary passwords asking them to login and change their passwords.

If you can get the threads/topics in a csv format then those too can be imported.
I would actually post this in the merge system, though i guess not in the same way. See if Ralgith can help you.