MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: World War I, World War II, Nazis movies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

I just started studying WWI, WWII, nazis and stuff at school. And the thing is, I can't bother to read books all the time. So I was wondering if you guys know any movies related to this. Doesn't need to be WWII, just war in general is also fine. Helps me understand how things work and how exactly it happened. Plus it's an interesting topic.

All help is appreciated, so leave you recommendations below! Smile Thanks.
All movies will be stylized and 'artist interpretations'. What areas of war do you want to understand more about? Reasons for each country's involvement, weapon technology, the civilian impact, tactics, economic and social impacts, loss/theft of history/culture during and after the fact, long term impacts of war (cold war era, new terrorist activity, creation of the UN, US as assumed world police) or something else?

Also, which version do you want? The version as told by the allies or the axis? The version as told by those countries not/less involved? The winners or the losers?
Miracle at Midnight and Max Manus are two that come to mind.
(2010-09-29, 11:14 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]All movies will be stylized and 'artist interpretations'. What areas of war do you want to understand more about? Reasons for each country's involvement, weapon technology, the civilian impact, tactics, economic and social impacts, loss/theft of history/culture during and after the fact, long term impacts of war (cold war era, new terrorist activity, creation of the UN, US as assumed world police) or something else?

Also, which version do you want? The version as told by the allies or the axis? The version as told by those countries not/less involved? The winners or the losers?
hmm, wasn't thinking of that to be honest. How about all of those categories? Just name the movie, I'll google the trailer, if it seems interesting I'll watch it. Although the reasons for each countries involvement would be great and tactics would be great. Smile

It can also be a documentary or something, as long as it isn't super boring. Toungue

@Anman: Thanks, I'll have a look at those!
Oh and I just remembered (How could I forget!?!) Saving Private Ryan is a good one.
Yeah, I've got that one downloaded, heard good stuff about it. I will be watching it tomorrow. Smile
Ah and Valkyrie is one I've heard of ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valkyrie_%28film%29 ) but I have not seen it myself.
Yes, I have also seen Valkyrie and I recommend it as well. Toungue
It's evidently not interesting enough a topic to read books about it!
Saving Private Ryan is less about the war and more about the people fighting it.

Band of Brothers is a great series, tells about both the war (various parts of the war as Easy Company moves across Europe) and the people fighting it and civilians impacted. Its 13 parts, about 45 minutes each. Its based on true stories/battles/real people

We Were Soldiers is a great Vietnam movie, covers the war, politics, people, tactics. All from both sides, the Viet Cong and the US. But its a Vietnam movies and not WWI/WWII

Here is a list a quick Google search revealed http://www99.epinions.com/content_4476608644

I have not seen all of them though.
Pages: 1 2