MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Can't overwrite original files on server.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I am attempting to upgrade MyBB v.1.4 to version 1.6. The instructions say upload files over your existing files then run upgrade. Despite several attempts FTP Rush and Dreamweaver refuse to overwrite the existing files with various reasons why, al CHMODs are set to 777, What the fook am I doing wrong ? Any help would be gratefully received. I am currently uploading the "upload" directory to its own folder with the current 1.4 installation and hoping the upgrade code is clever enough to find the old installation and complete the upgrade.
Define 'refuse'... is there an actual error message?? This is something we can't really do anything about unless we upload the files for you. I don't know why all CHMODs are set to 777, there's no need for that.

It doesn't 'find' the old install; it's in the same directory because you're just replacing files, and it's using the same config file so it knows where it is. You shouldn't be uploading it to it's own folder, that's not overwriting the current files...
(2010-09-30, 06:01 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Define 'refuse'... is there an actual error message?? This is something we can't really do anything about unless we upload the files for you. I don't know why all CHMODs are set to 777, there's no need for that.

It doesn't 'find' the old install; it's in the same directory because you're just replacing files, and it's using the same config file so it knows where it is. You shouldn't be uploading it to it's own folder, that's not overwriting the current files...

Hi Matt, I would settle for that if you can, can i email you the ftp settings ?
Yeah you can PM me details here.

Before I upload the files though, make sure you've taken your database backup and deactivated your plugins.
The error in FTP Rush is invalid argument and dreamweaver is not allowed.
(2010-09-30, 06:05 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah you can PM me details here.

Before I upload the files though, make sure you've taken your database backup and deactivated your plugins.

Already have backup, disabling plugins now.
PM Sent with login details, thanks.
Hmm... would you be able to maybe make a new FTP user, or ask your host what might be causing this?? There's no reason for these these uploads to be disallowed. Some work but some don't, which is odd.
(2010-09-30, 06:56 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm... would you be able to maybe make a new FTP user, or ask your host what might be causing this?? There's no reason for these these uploads to be disallowed. Some work but some don't, which is odd.

Just had a thought, try an "e" on the end of the username, i now remember a similar problem when this was first set up in 08
I have tried the other username but it is not valid on the FTP host only on the website maitenence page. I will contact the hosts in the morning to find out what the hell is going on. In the meantime thanks for your efforts but the problem is obviously with the host. I will keep you posted about what happens tomorrow. Cheers, Dave
Got the files uploaded (uploaded them in smaller batches) but it seems your host is still running PHP 4.4.9; MyBB 1.6 requires 5.1+. Would you be able to ask them if they can upgrade your PHP version??

Edit: OK, this is what I've done. I'd uploaded the 1.6 files but because you're running PHP 4, it just showed a blank page. Didn't want to have it left like that, so I've put the 1.6 files in a folder called forum_new. The files in forum are the 1.4 files again, so that it loads on your PHP version and shows the board closed message, rather than just a blank page. When your host upgrades you to PHP 5.1, you'll need to rename the forum folder to something else, and rename forum_new to forum; then you'll be able to upgrade as normal.