MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: A new breed of spammer?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Stop Forum Spam is wonderful. It stops so many spammers. Yet still, some get through. I have my boards set to admin approval because of that.
I like to set 'Location' as a required field by personal preference because it is somewhat relevent to my particular forums.
Lately I have been getting new registrations that look "clean" when I check their User name, email and IP address. The only thing that raised an eyebrow was the Location field. They put a 5-digit number there. At first I thought it was a zip code. In the next couple of days I had several more with the same scenario. Nothing else in common except that attribute.

I normally delete spam accounts, but after the first couple, I started banning them instead so I can report them once I know for sure they are spammers. All I know is that they will not be spammers on MY boards if I can help it.
I had a couple of them post. They make brainless, semi-relevant replies to off-topic threads. They don't do anything "bad", however they do not respond to my post moderation messages. None have contacted me about being banned and being called a spammer, so I guess the shoe fits. I let one go for a day or two. He posted goofy replies the first day and then ...... nothing.

My guess is that this person or group is trying to establish users, then go back later and add links in sigs and junk like that.

I am just posting this as a heads-up. I am open to comments, though.
If only they could be directed to my alternate forum, SpamBB. I would be interested in tracking statistics on these "people."

Sadly I can't seem to get spammers to register despite having next to no restrictions on registration.
My forum had 51 registered users, at least 40 are spammers. Toungue I tend to just ban them.
Speak of the devil...
Edit: Well, the spam this was referring to was removed...
Haha yeah, it's spam galore there. :p
Give 'er time, Firestryke. NanoSkinners had like 400 members at one point, had to trim down about 250 unactivated. Even now I'm back up to 250, not that all are spammers though.
@ Modv2 and Scoutie44 :

Firestryke31 was commenting on a SPAM posted here, that was deleted just 5 minutes after he posted about it... Wink
There is a website called microworkers that pays you to do that, but personally i ignore those jobs as they are called.
It requires a user to post a comment(specific) or add junk to signature then report it back to microworkers so they verify and pay you
(2010-10-01, 09:20 PM)Firestryke31 Wrote: [ -> ]If only they could be directed to my alternate forum, SpamBB. I would be interested in tracking statistics on these "people."

Sadly I can't seem to get spammers to register despite having next to no restrictions on registration.

That is a really sexy theme Smile
Why, thank you! I'm trying to get word about the forum out, so I've been spamming the crap out of it everywhere. It's not enough, though, and I need others to help (mainly because they might post on forums I don't normally visit).

I've also managed to somehow make the damn place 100% spambot free. Angry
Pages: 1 2