MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Rotate Background Image When Page Refreshes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everybody,

I'd just tried to make the background of my forum rotate with each refresh but for some reason it did not work. This is what I did.

1. Modified the CSS of the body which contains the background codes by adding the following below:

#body {
background: #0facea url(background.php) no-repeat
}

2. Created a "background.php" file with the code below
<?php
// Generation d'un bandeau aleatoire.
header("Content-type: image/jpeg");
header("location:".'images/pictures_'.rand(1,6).'.jpg');
?>

3. Uploaded the pictures folder to the proper location and uploaded the php file as well. But when I check my forum the background images do not show. I was wondering if there is a simpler way of accomplishing this?
That PHP won't work. All it will do is redirect you to the image.

Instead, Write a plugin that randomly chooses a CSS class (back1,back2,back3...). Then place this in the templates.

That might work Smile
(2010-10-03, 04:53 AM)reichman Wrote: [ -> ]Hello everybody,

I'd just tried to make the background of my forum rotate with each refresh but for some reason it did not work. This is what I did.

1. Modified the CSS of the body which contains the background codes by adding the following below:

#body {
background: #0facea url(background.php) no-repeat
}

2. Created a "background.php" file with the code below
<?php
// Generation d'un bandeau aleatoire.
?>

3. Uploaded the pictures folder to the proper location and uploaded the php file as well. But when I check my forum the background images do not show. I was wondering if there is a simpler way of accomplishing this?

This works, but you are not calling the background.php file correctly.

Instead of background: #0facea url(background.php) no-repeat

Do this: background: #0facea url(http://yourwebsite.com/background.php) no-repeat

Assuming you have the background.php file in the root of your site, else call it relative to where you have it stored.
Hmm, didn't work - I don't know what I'm doing wrong but my guess is it's the location part.

Should it be:
header("location:".'images/pictures_'.rand(1,3).'pic1.jpg'.'pic2.jpg'.'pic3.jpg');

or
header("location:".'images/pictures_1'.'images/pictures_2'.'images/pictures_3'.rand(1,6).'.jpg');

Say you have 3 pictures in your images folder how would you line those images in the code?
(2010-10-03, 09:26 PM)reichman Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm, didn't work - I don't know what I'm doing wrong but my guess is it's the location part.

Should it be:
header("location:".'images/pictures_'.rand(1,3).'pic1.jpg'.'pic2.jpg'.'pic3.jpg');

or
header("location:".'images/pictures_1'.'images/pictures_2'.'images/pictures_3'.rand(1,6).'.jpg');

Say you have 3 pictures in your images folder how would you line those images in the code?

What you had originally works fine:

Your problem is probably the locations. With the above, the script will look in images folder for pictures_1.jpg, pictures_2.jpg, ... pictures_6.jpg
The images folder should be in the same place as the background.php file.

If it still doesn't work, send me your url and I could have a look.