MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: So i made the move.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
From Linux to Unix.

My nerd level has improved to level 3.

And i just released this.

Mac is based off of Unix. (Nextstep) Linux is a Unix clone. EVERYONE WANTS TO BE UNIX!

Yea so i installed PC-BSD 8.0 (Should update to 8.1) and i freaking love it. It has ports collection, USB recognition and all the software i need for school. Running KDE, and i'm loving it! I know know why i fell in love with it on Mandriva, oh those three years ago!

KDE really has improved since then, kudos, now i challenge you linux users, give PC-BSD a try! Help their FOSS community!
... Technically BSD is not UNIX as IIRC AT&T still owns the rights to the UNIX name.

I've not had a chance to really use a BSD system as my Linux system is on my laptop with a carefully crafted boot setup (though I might just dump OS X as I never use it).

Does BSD still force you to use their weird partitioning system or does it work with MBR and play nicely with other OSes?
Not sure what weirdness it had before, PC-BSD installed fine with a few tweaks due to how i wanted it setup. If you have GRUB installed as your bootloader, you'll be fine.
ATM I use Chameleon (which reminds me I might want to update it, I'm using 2.0RC3). I might switch to GRUB but I hate how XUbuntu dumps every kernel known to man into the boot menu, and GRUB just doesn't look as nice.

Can you think of any bootloaders not under the GPL?
Not sure it if is under the GPL or what not, but i've been told great things about "GAG" Asfor Ubuntu, its quite easy to remove the entries Toungue.
(2010-10-03, 08:04 PM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]Linux is a Unix clone.

Actually, Unix refers to an operating system such as Ubuntu, Fedora and so on, which use the Linux kernel.
BSD isn't considered as a Unix operating system anymore. Originally, BSD used the original AT&T code, but later used it's own code. Many seem to argue this, but it's quite clear when you look at the source codes. BSD is programmed in C, Linux is programmed most in Assembler, including some C.
Let the nerd wars begin.

The topic title is a bit misleading. I thought something else Toungue

P.S
Sorry for the offtopic
(2010-10-04, 01:18 AM)iBf Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-10-03, 08:04 PM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]Linux is a Unix clone.

Actually, Unix refers to an operating system such as Ubuntu, Fedora and so on, which use the Linux kernel.
BSD isn't considered as a Unix operating system anymore. Originally, BSD used the original AT&T code, but later used it's own code. Many seem to argue this, but it's quite clear when you look at the source codes. BSD is programmed in C, Linux is programmed most in Assembler, including some C.
Let the nerd wars begin.

Misinformation fail.

Linux is mostly in C. BSD also contains some assembly. BSD never used AT&T's code, as the idea behind it was to create a 100% free alternative to AT&T's UNIX (which you can't do if you use AT&T's source).

All 3 systems are made of 3 levels: The kernel, which controls everything; the drivers, which give you hardware access; and the user space, which is what everyone thinks of when they think "operating system." The user space for BSD and Linux emulates UNIX's, but neither is actually UNIX, nor includes any UNIX components, for legal reasons (GNU is an acronym for "GNU is Not UNIX").