MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How does Upgrade work?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I had my forums runninng on RC2. When RC3 came out I tried to upgrade, bu didn't succeed, so I reveresed everything to RC2 again (from my backups made befor the upgrade).

Now RC4 is here, I thought this must be better now, but I'm disappointed again. After a couple of hours struggling the update still doesn't work, I get the weirdest error messages.

I don't know exactly what the problem is, I did strictly step by step what is written in the upgrade docs. After the second step I got a very srange page, seemed like php code but broken on a lot of places, completely twisted. I didn't have time to have a closer look, as it reloaded itself to 404 error and couldn't go back due to 'post' data.
Now nothing appears either in admin cp or in the normal forums. I have to roll back again, as I don't want to leave the forums too long down...
I checked the database, it seems to be updated (I randomly chose some statements from upgrade*.php, and they were there in DB).

Could you please advise what to do, I'm desperately lost?

Thanks,
Endre

I quickly managed to capture on my second try some of this weird page, what appears before the 'not found' error.

The 404 error comes for this url: forum/install/$url , which seems to be an unprocessed string.

After the second try of upgrade it show something which looks a little bit like a forum, but on the admin cp it says "Language (../inc/languages/) is not installed".
Wow, thats well.. interesting..

Can you upload a file which displays the PHP info?
<?php
phpinfo();
?>

And direct me to a URL where that is uploaded? If your forums are private, just send me a private message. If you cannot manage to send me the URL for some reason just save the page and attach it to a thread here.

Regards,
Chris
Thanks for your help Chris, it looks much better now. I had some other problems, but so far I could solve them all.

There is one more issue I can get over: I started to translate the language files to hungarian, my language, but I can't change it on the user cp, it doesn't save it. Is the error on my side somewhere, or is this a known issue?
You will need to create a 'language information file' for it to show up in RC4. See /inc/languages/english.php for an example Wink
Don't take me that stupid, even if I might look like that stupid. :-)
I copied the whole english directory and english.php, renamed to hungarian and hungarian.php and started to translate. In hungarian.php I have this, I'm not sure what the last line means:

<?php
$langinfo['name'] = "Hungarian";
$langinfo['author'] = "Me";
$langinfo['version'] = "1.0rc4";
$langinfo['admin'] = 2;
?>

It also appears in user cp, you can select it, but it does't save it when I click update options. I have in the language box

Use Default
-----------
English (American)
Hungarian

But whatever I choose, it is always 'Use Default'.
$langinfo['admin'] should be 1 if the translation contains an Admin CP translation as well.

Double check that the spelling of both the name of the file and the language directory are exactly the same. If they're different it won't work properly.

If you go to the User CP here, and change your language to 'English (American)' then go back to the options page, does it show that option as being selected?
No, I tried that too. It jumps back always to default.
I checked here, here it works.

Spelling is double checked, it is the same.

Could that be, that some database change is missing? Something might have lost in the failed upgrade. I also didn't have several fields in users table, and some tables were missing completely. That's why I asked if there is a possibility to have an sql upgrade script instead of the php files. The upgrade failed somewhere in the middle and if I start again with the parameters you suggested, it fails right at the beginning, saying that this and that field is already there.
Hm, probably the problem is that the field time doesn't match for the 'language' field in 'users' table. Dont ask me why, but it is now integer, and it is varchar(50) in the upgrade.php... (shouldn't it give an error message in this case?)

I can not access the database from here, i will try in the evening from home.
I don't know why it is an integer, but it most definately should not be. Undecided

I'm guessing thats the problem, as it won't be storing the selected language. And no, it shouldn't report an error because MySQL will interpret a text value for a numerical field as still being a valid field value..
Pages: 1 2