MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Forget password !
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi !
I have a question about "forget password" page.

When users use this part, send for him/her a new password(random).
but I need send same password to e-mail address.
Please write for me and other users => that how to change this mood?

please help me, I waiting for your answer.
thanks a lot.
For security reasons it sends a random password. The user can change it back when they get in.
The password is encrypted in the database. No way to un-encrypt it.
(2010-10-04, 05:43 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]For security reasons it sends a random password. The user can change it back when they get in.

This is provided they remember the original password, in which case they wouldn't have needed to use the tool in the first place.

Regardless, the current method is the most secure. I'd rather not have my email compromised and a hacker gain all of my passwords.
You can't send them their old password, unless you save them in plain text in the db, which is insecure.

Their passwords are MD5ed in the database, so when resetting the password it sends the new password and encrypts it. You can unencrypt the password without a small supercomputer Wink
(2010-10-05, 07:04 AM)Tommyk Wrote: [ -> ]You can't send them their old password, unless you save them in plain text in the db, which is insecure.

Their passwords are MD5ed in the database, so when resetting the password it sends the new password and encrypts it. You can unencrypt the password without a small supercomputer Wink

You can't "decrypt" md5 hashes. You can brute force it and would take ages even with a super computer.
so, It is for increase security and this mood is the best mood for increase security.
thanks a lot.

please answer to this question, too.(if you know it) >>http://community.mybb.com/thread-79509.html
(2010-10-05, 01:41 PM)Pirata Nervo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-10-05, 07:04 AM)Tommyk Wrote: [ -> ]You can't send them their old password, unless you save them in plain text in the db, which is insecure.

You can't "decrypt" md5 hashes. You can brute force it and would take ages even with a super computer.

Toungue Thats what i meant Smile

It depends on how long/uncommon the password is (if using dicionaries) but with MyBB's salt function it becomes almost impossible Toungue

(2010-10-05, 05:39 PM)Tommyk Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-10-05, 01:41 PM)Pirata Nervo Wrote: [ -> ]

Toungue Thats what i meant Smile

It depends on how long/uncommon the password is (if using dicionaries) but with MyBB's salt function it becomes almost impossible Toungue

If I use a password like lollipops984NOM38 a dictionary attach wouldn't work. It would require brute forcing with a custom set of characters.
Plus you can't forget that MyBB's passwords are salted as well
Rainbow tables could help i suppose Toungue Salting is pretty good at increasing the time taken to crack it. Smile
Pages: 1 2