MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Reduce bandwidth hogging
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have notice the for a whole days work on a mybb used up about 12 megabytes of bandwidth without gzip. That is hell of a lot never seen before esp when I used SMF. I thought i just point it out.
How large is your forum? Honestly I don't think 12MB is a lot to use, but it is possible that something on your forum (either just its size or maybe pictures or attachments) is causing a majority of the hogging, not all of it.
12MB * 30 days in a month = 360MB/month

You could get away with 500MB/month hosting if you're only using that, lol. How large is your forum, as stated above?

If you think 12MB a day is a hell of a lot for a forum.. well talk to labrocca if you want to see a real hell of a lot of bandwidth.
In addition to that, you can check that your site is utilizing caching so that stuff like images and css elements are loaded only the first time a page is accessed.

Heres an example: If you don't properly chmod the cache/themes folder, then the board will end up using the css.php file to load the css elements but doing so will mean the css elements are loaded everytime and not cached by the browser. With the proper chmod, the css is cached and the browser then caches the css properly.

There are other such things that you can look out for.