MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Garage System Beta Testers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Okay, so I think I am ready for to start the public beta of my new garage system. The base system has been working on my site for a year now, but I have added so much functionality that before I officially release, I would like to go through a public beta.

Please post up or PM with a link to your forum if you wish to be part of the public beta. I can only support a few folks as I am very busy and I would prefer a more advanced user to start with. I need to spend more time with functional testing than hand holding on setting it up. Hope you all understand.

There are 40 files (including images) that cover:
  • A whole new ACP section to manage the Garage System
  • A plugin file to handle install, uninstall, main templates, Who's Online integration, Postbit integration (links to user garages)
  • Language support
  • Datahandler and file upload support files

Frontend Feature List
  • Usergroup based permissions
  • Multiple form inputs supported: Textbox, Textarea, Select/Dropdowns, Radio, Checkboxes)
  • Attachment support
  • Comment Support
  • Multiple garage entries per user in each garage
  • Comment moderation by author and garage entry owner
  • MyCode and smilie support in comments
  • Option to link to user's garage entries in postbit user details
  • User specified sorting (views, counts, username, plus custom fields)
  • Search support for specified fields and username, with exact match or "like" support

ACP Feature List
  • Multiple garage support
  • One main file that can be copied/renamed to assign to each garage, no CODING!
  • SEO support with link to generate htaccess code for you
  • Garage usage stats on summary page
  • Enable, disable, delete garages
  • Create and delete (if empty) garage data tables
  • Built-in support for automatically creating language files in default language
  • Custom and dynamic fields for each garage
  • Automatic field label language support
  • Help documents in ACP
  • Cache support with ability to rebuild with single click
  • Custom dropdown lists (option/select forms)
  • Additional mods and groups as mods support
  • Usergroup based permissions
  • Reusable field sets, make one set and use it again in another garage.

Field options Feature List
  • Multiple field sets
  • Built-in language support that actually creates languages files fo ryou
  • Specify field type, size, min and max lengths, is required, is enabled, is searchable
  • Define custom lists for radio and options/select items
  • Reuse field sets in mulitple garages

Because the system uses admin defined field sets for each garage, the system does not need to contain a "garage" in it's typical usage. You can create databases for cars, computers, animals, homes, hobby stuff, bikes, shoes, whatever.

Here are some screen shots using the same Garage System with a two copies of the main file (one named garage.php and the other comps.php) but they are the same code inside.

Main "list" view of Trucks garage
[Image: garage_list_sample1.png]

Main "list" view of Computers garage
[Image: garage_list_sample2.png]

Viewing a computer garage
[Image: garage_view_sample1.png]

Editing a computer garage
[Image: garage_edit_sample1.png]

ACP Garage Admin Summary
[Image: garage_acp_summary1.png]

ACP Garage Admin SEO content
[Image: garage_acp_summary_seo.png]

ACP Field Sets, Fields and Field Data
[Image: garage_acp_fields1.png]

[Image: garage_acp_fields2.png]

[Image: garage_acp_fields3.png]

ACP Garage Admin Help Pages
[Image: garage_acp_help.png]

ACP Garage Admin Edit Main Settings
[Image: garage_acp_edit_main.png]

ACP Garage Admin Edit Permissions
[Image: garage_acp_edit_perms.png]

ACP Garage Admin Edit Moderators
[Image: garage_acp_edit_mods.png]

Questions?
Some more info

For each field set, you can specify which fields to make required, what order they are displayed in the view/edit/new pages, and which of those fields and their order for the main list view,

Moderator pages work like 1.6 with the autocomplete lookups

Specify the thumbnail images sizes using the MyBB 1.6 attachment code as a base, including the new update attachment feature

Icons are used for quick graphical reference to a garage's status or a langauge file

Icons are used for showing checkbox status when viewing a garage. Check the box and when viewed, it shows as a check icon, unchecked shows an X icon

Oh and there is inline moderation support that is specific to the moderator permissions set. Multiple approve, unapprove and delete available
anyone else willing to test it out?

there used to be several requests for a garage system for mybb, but no more interest?

its not limited to cars/trucks. have a forum dedicated to some sort of collection such as sports memorabilia or toys? what about a site dedicated to computer modding?

well, this system will allow you to provide a place for your users to post info and images about their items in a way fully customizable by the admin.
I'll be installing the fix you gave me later today. I've just been pretty busy with school for the past few days. So far it looks pretty good though.

I would definitely sign up if you need something more than an image gallery. I already see some great ideas that everyone would be able to take advantage of. As pavemen said, it's not just for cars and trucks. You can easily customize it into almost anything you like. A gallery for trading cards, pets, furniture, whatever really.
This sounds interesting to test have a site for a group in the game City of Heroes and can use this as a character record. So I understand this correctly one member can have multiple garages (ie. different characters).
Yes, each member can have unlimited 'garages' as I have not yet implemented a max number setting.

Using the same system you can even have a "HQ" for the good guys with one set of fields/field names and another "Lair" for the villains and their own set of fields.
Sounds good, interested giving this run through of testing Big Grin
WTF is a garage?
(2010-10-21, 09:18 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]there used to be several requests for a garage system for mybb, but no more interest?
If you're wondering, I think a few might've gone with XThreads Toungue

Examples:
http://mynie.6te.net/demo/forumdisplay.php?fid=36
http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage

But looks like an interesting plugin you've made there nonetheless.
(2010-10-22, 06:34 PM)jmeeter Wrote: [ -> ]WTF is a garage?

For an automotive enthusiast site, a 'garage' is a place to post pics and info about your ride. It's also known as "Reader's Rides".

However, my system is fully customizable and supports whatever content you want, not just cars, and you can run the different content at the same time.

(2010-10-24, 10:46 PM)Yumi Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-10-21, 09:18 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]there used to be several requests for a garage system for mybb, but no more interest?
If you're wondering, I think a few might've gone with XThreads Toungue

Examples:
http://mynie.6te.net/demo/forumdisplay.php?fid=36
http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage

But looks like an interesting plugin you've made there nonetheless.

First I have seen those. I knew xthreads was used for some custom stuff, but not in that fashion. I still prefer my setup as a separate installation, just to keep the contents separate from the forums. Thanks for those links though
I'd like to try it out, but unfortunately, I don't have a mechanical related forum.

And I'd probably just test it on localhost.
Pages: 1 2 3 4