MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Star Trek: Secret of Vulcan Fury
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It isn't often that people discuss a video game that was canceled 11 years ago, but I've been meaning to make a thread about this game for quite some time now, and I'm finally done putting it off. Most of you probably never heard of Star Trek: Secret of Vulcan Fury, a PC game that was canceled in 1999. But this game had quite a bit of hype back in the day. I suppose one could compare it to the hype surrounding Call of Duty: Black Ops, though not quite as much hype as Black Ops, for obvious reasons (such as how some people think Star Trek is only for nerds and how gaming wasn't as big back then as it is today).

It was being developed by Tribal Dreams and published by Interplay. Two distinctly different trailers were released for the game prior to it's cancellation. I remember seeing the first trailer for this game when I installed Star Trek: Starfleet Academy. This game was to have cutting edge graphics (for it's time) and highly advanced gameplay. The story seemed pretty solid, especially since the game's plot was written by one of the writers who wrote some of the episodes for The Original Series, The Next Generation, and Deep Space Nine.

I'm not sure if Interplay or Tribal Dreams ever announced what the actual gameplay would be like, only that it would be "very complex", in fact, I don't believe they ever announced what the genre would be for the game. However, I believe it may be safe to assume that it would have been an interactive movie game, since most Star Trek games back then were. I don't believe they announced whether or not it would have multiplayer either, but again, it most likely would have multiplayer based on how big the hype was, how most other Star Trek games at the time did, and how Star Trek: Starfleet Academy had (and still has) a relatively large online following.

Secret of Vulcan Fury was eventually scrapped due to the project taking up too much money and the game being "too complex" to complete within Tribal Dreams allotted budget and maximum time allowed to finish the game. Who knows, perhaps Interplay will pick this title back up. Interplay did announce that they plan on releasing games that they were forced to cancel in the past due to financial issues. I for one would like to see them finish and release the game with the graphics they had original implemented, but with fantastic new multiplayer, as opposed to them starting from scratch with new 21st century graphics.

As for the poll, the question is if Interplay announced that they would finish the game and release it, would you buy the game once it came out? They would add modern day online multiplayer, but the game's story and graphics would remain as they were supposed to be before. They would also announce it for PC, Mac, Xbox 360, Wii, OnLive, and PS3. Also if you pre-ordered, you would get the Limited Edition version of the game for the same price as the normal version once the game comes out. The pre-order version would come with in-game bonuses, such as perhaps a special ship class to use in multiplayer, and a special skin for your ship in multiplayer. The Limited Edition version would have a special casing that the normal game box does not, and it would come with a real life bonus, such as a miniaturized model of the Federation starship Enterprise. The game itself would cost the same as most other new games, with a price of $60. The Limited Edition version of the game would only be available to those who pre-order, with the exception of a few unsold copies that nobody pre-ordered being put on the shelves for a much higher price than the standard edition which wouldn't contain the bonuses.

Trailer 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQHyg6nFpAY

Trailer 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDKfX5Hwuoc
Your really talking about a cancelled project 11 years ago?

...And you've been wanting to post it for 11 years?
Well you know, when you put stuff off...and forget about it. Then remember, and then are like "I'll do it later" then forgot. You know how it is.
(2010-10-10, 04:54 AM)Violetta Wrote: [ -> ]Well you know, when you put stuff off...and forget about it. Then remember, and then are like "I'll do it later" then forgot. You know how it is.

I've yet have one span into the years.
Sure is market researcher in here.