MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Mailing list import (Majordomo)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been running a Majordomo mailing list for several years but requests from list-members have suggested I keep with the times and upgrade to a web based forum instead, which is what has brought me here (I tried several of the online forum demos at the Forum software reviews site which got me here. I have no experience setting up/administrating web forums before, but MyBB seems to have a lot of the features I'm looking for (I do miss a fully working WYSIWYG editor though, as that would make it even more user-friendly for my community).

However, I do have a slight challenge which I've found discussions on here but currently no replies to so far.... I really want to bring all the archived list messages over to the new web forum so they appear in the search results. I've asked my system administrator who tells me that the messages come in the Mbox format. I don't know how MyBB organizes forum messages, but is there a tool or a solution otherwise for importing all those mailing list messages?
You would really have to make a custom merge module. Dylan is in charge of the system though i don't he'd make this, unless there was more demand. (Which isn't gurranteed though, he is a very nice guy)

Your best bet is to find a software that already supports your system, and the merge that into MyBB.
Thanks for your reply.
You're talking about Dylan M. right? I did a search on the forum.

If I was to look for web-forum software that already supports Majordomo archive imports I'll also need to check that it can output to a format that MyBB understands. Do you have any references/specifications to MyBB's format?
Here's the list of software the merge system currently supports - http://www.mybb.com/downloads/merge-system

If you can convert to any of those you could then convert to MyBB after.
Thanks. I'll ask around for the web-forum software listed.
By the way, someone in another forum suggested I look into Mhonarc which is described as follows:

MHonArc is a Perl mail-to-HTML converter. MHonArc provides HTML mail archiving with index, mail thread linking, etc; plus other capabilities including support for MIME and powerful user customization features.

Would converting my archived messages using MHonArc first help import them into MyBB?
Essentially you're looking at either doing what Mark suggested and importing them into another forum software that is supported by the Merge System, or paying for a custom module from a 3rd party site. There are just too many more important things to get rolling in the Merge System to spend development hours on writing a Merge Module for something that is essentially a 1-shot deal. Sorry, thats just the simple facts of it.
Although disappointing I completely understand.
So far I haven't yet found any Mbox import/merge function in any of the other web-forum software that your MyBB merge system supports.

Do you (or others reading this) know of any 3rd party/parties I get in touch with who will do this sort of thing?
Also, where can I find the MyBB format specifications so that the programmer will know what the data needs to be converted into?
(2010-10-15, 07:59 AM)Tomcat Wrote: [ -> ]Although disappointing I completely understand.
So far I haven't yet found any Mbox import/merge function in any of the other web-forum software that your MyBB merge system supports.

Sorry to hear that, you do realize that Mbox is simply a plain text mail file format, yes?

Quote:Do you (or others reading this) know of any 3rd party/parties I get in touch with who will do this sort of thing?
Also, where can I find the MyBB format specifications so that the programmer will know what the data needs to be converted into?

I write custom modules through another site, however I'm booked full up on plugins and my official work here all the way through to January. I'm not sure who else would be interested and able, I suggest you post here:
http://community.mybb.com/forum-136.html

This should be a fairly easy job, but there is no guarantee of that. Good luck!