MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Site Transfer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I hope this is the right forum, if not please move.

I am a bit concerned about transfering MyBB to a new hosting space. I know MyBB offers SQL export. The SQL database contains both WordPress and MyBB tables. This probably isn't a good thing, but my old host only allowed one SQL database, so I should probably try to import the tables separately into different SQL databases? Although I fear this might cause problems for both WordPress and MyBB. Especially since I use a plugin on WordPress called WordBB which shows MyBB threads on the WordPress blog. (I know this is only a MyBB support forum, but if someone can advise me on this I'd appreciate it.)

If I export the database, is it simply a case of importing the SQL database using my new host's admin panel, and then uploading the complete backup I made in the same directory structure? Will this restore everything? Fortunately, there is something that should make this transfer process easier. I am also having the domain transfered, which means the directory structure AND the domain itself can be the same.

Sorry if this is a common question. I hope you can understand my concerns though as I don't want everything to go up in flames!
It'll be fine to keep everything in the same database. However if you'd rather separate them that shouldn't be a problem either, would just be a case of making sure the appropriate config files are pointing to the correct databases (i.e. MyBB config file, WordPress config file, and whatever setup is needed for WordBB). If you import the database backup, to one database or two, and then upload your file backup and change the config files, it should all work as normal. If you're sure you've got backups of everything you can't go wrong, but if it's at all possible, I'd make sure everything is working properly on the new host before getting rid of the old host.