MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to implement security with MyBB 1.6
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Apologies if this information is already posted somewhere but I have searched and browsed and there is nothing obvious for version 1.6 though I daresay that the principles are the same.

I have a seldom used MyBB 1.4 forum that I looked at last evening and found that it had been hacked. The index.php files had been overwritten with something else that displayed a scrolling banner. Everything else, including the data appears to be there, so though it's a pain in the backside to sort out, I haven't lost everything.

So, I am going to start afresh with MyBB 1.6, export the data from the old and import into the new BB, and employ tighter security. I have used CHMOD when setting up MyBB but once I have everything set up, how may I lock it down as much as possible? I am not an expert in htaccess files but I guess that this is another option. I'm sure I saw a document explaining how to implement good security several months ago but cannot find it readily. So, can somebody point towards a procedure of what files should be secured with what security? Ideally, in words for somebody who isn't a Linux expert.

Thanks!
Excellent. Just the material I am looking for.

Many thanks

David

What version of 1.4 were you running??
I've not got the Admin CP up and running yet to see what it reports but the admin index.php says "index.php 4163 2008-08-31 16:57:07Z Tikitiki"
It appears to have been hacked by "H4cK3d By nO lOv3"/"nO>==== Team.aanT!. ViruS====<nO" and it also says Algeria. I really want to get to the Admin CP but running any scripts there seems to swap in their hacked file no matter what I do. I suspect that there is something lurking in there like a .htaccess file doing some kind of redirection but I'm not expert enough to track this down. :o(

Anybody any pointers for me?

TIA

Look in ./inc/class_core.php, what version is in here?? You'll see something like this:

public $version = "1.6.0";
public $version_code = 1600;

Reupload a new copy of ./index.php, seems to be the only page with the problem, other pages are fine.
I think is your server related security, not MyBB itself Wink