MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Integrating forums into web design
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,

Wasn't certain where to put this post, so it ended up here. I have a programming/development question regarding integrating the forum software into the website I am developing. I am a novice when it comes to this so bear with me. I have a decent knowledge of the languages, it's the implementation that kills me.

I digress. I want my forum to show up when I click on forums on my nav bar. Exactly the way it does when you click on "Community Forum" on the nav bar at the top of this page. My web site is going to have a wiki and blog, as well as content pages and tutorials, videos, etc etc. How do I do this? As of now my forum is installed in a folder named "forum" which sits in my root directory. What must I do to have my forum imitate this site?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Hi Fritch, welcome. Smile

(2010-10-17, 05:37 AM)Fritch Wrote: [ -> ]...What must I do to have my forum imitate this site?

Thanks in advance for your help.

These:
http://mods.mybb.com/ (sub-domain)
http://community.mybb.com/ (forum + other sub-domain)
http://www.mybb.com/about (folder = 'about' or uses mod-rewrite)
...and the other links, all use the same common header (or very similar), so it all appears to be 'integrated.'

(2010-10-17, 05:37 AM)Fritch Wrote: [ -> ]...it's the implementation that kills me...

User integration, SSO, etc. will be (could be) more of a challenge.
The design simply uses the same header (almost) everywhere.

Does that answer your question, or did I miss something?

Thank you for your response.

If I am understanding this correctly, I just need to make a header in photoshop, add a nav bar, and when the nav bar is clicked, make it appear as though the content on that page it integrated via placing the background color of the #content area behind the nav bar button?

Also, why choose a sun-domain vs. a folder? What are the advantages/disadvantages? Thanks again!

Hi Again Fritch,
I just saw your question now...

(2010-10-17, 05:27 PM)Fritch Wrote: [ -> ]Also, why choose a sun-domain vs. a folder? What are the advantages/disadvantages? Thanks again!

The complete answer includes various opinions, facts, and myths regarding SEO.
Advantages/disadvantages is potentially a big subject which I'll leave for someone else...
...or you could Google it.

(2010-10-17, 05:27 PM)Fritch Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for your response.

If I am understanding this correctly, I just need to make a header in photoshop, add a nav bar, and when the nav bar is clicked, make it appear as though the content on that page it integrated via placing the background color of the #content area behind the nav bar button?

At this point:
"...make it appear as though the content..."
you are IMO, making things too complicated.
^^^
  • There are a variety of pages (sites, sub-domains) all sharing a common header.
  • Period Toungue

1) Make your nav bar.
2) ....
....The common header could be contained in a ' header.php ' file ' header.inc ', Smarty template, whatever.
3) For the forum, MyBB's templates are in the database.
  • The key is using the same design with every page
^^^
Not always easy when using different software.