MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Pngs and not gifs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
for images like on.gif and off.gif could you not use pngs instead.
I know the file size is slighly bigger but are much better quality, also seem to blend in with darker themes aswell. Any one else have any thoughts on this
If i remember its included in 2.0
i hope so Smile
I think they avoided this because of IE6 not natively supporting PNG transparency. I agree, but I'm pretty sure we'll see this in 2.0. PNG is the future!
(2010-10-18, 02:26 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]I think they avoided this because of IE6 not natively supporting PNG transparency. I agree, but I'm pretty sure we'll see this in 2.0. PNG is the future!

Hopefully we can also use apng(i think thats what its called right) for the animation stuff.,
(2010-10-18, 02:26 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]I think they avoided this because of IE6 not natively supporting PNG transparency.

IIRC it supports transparency (either completely transparent or not, like GIF), just not alpha transparency (25% transparent so it mixes with the background, like the shadow.png on the sides in this theme here).

The reason why GIF is still sometimes used today is that for simple graphics (icons with very few colors, and probably even with single color areas) GIF files can actually be smaller than PNG, since that's what GIF compression is optimized for.

The problem isn't GIF anyway, it's that the filenames are hardcoded. If it was a setting or CSS property or something, you could just change it and be done with it.
I think some inpt from a mybb developer would be appreciated.
There's nothing stopping you using PNG for images like on.gif and off.gif anyway. All the images in my themes are PNG, I never use GIF.
well now i know i can use png easily i will be using, i just thought having pngs as default will make the software better quality.
It's IE6. If Google doesn't support them, why should you?
Pages: 1 2