MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Is IP banning worth it?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Most of us now use dynamic IP. To change IP address, all you have to do is to restart your Livebox or ADSL modem.

Therefore banning a member's IP today only has a temporary effect. As for spammers, same.

Here's my hypothesis:
Quote:* IP banning has become a useless feature for today's web.
* IP banning may still be used to stop angry members/spammers/hackers from making multiples attacks at the same time.
e.g. when registering twice with the same IP the same day, the IP gets banned for 24hrs. If the he really wants to annoy you, he either has to wait for tomorrow or restart his ADSL modem. But as he gets annoyed too, he may just forget you.

Do you agree with my hypothesis?
Yet a lot of people are hardly changed by this, also just adding a wildcard for the last of the 4 digits from the ip could still ban the same person.
I happen to have the same ip 60% of the time, even if i restart my modem.
And last but not least, people don't know this.
If a raisin on my site misbehaves and i ban him both account and IP it's not likely that he'll restart his modem just to enter the site again.
IP bans are excellent for spam bots and proxies that are normally run from dedicated servers that will have a dedicated IP that will not change 99.99% of the time. Wink

As for humans... I have my own methods of taking care of them. Big Grin
Some ISPs assign static IPs to their customers. Nomatter how many times I restart my router, I always have the same ip.
Your IP probably cycles every month or so, then.
I've always banned the entire range of IPs (used a wildcats for the last octet I believe it's called), so it worked well. idk, some people don't know what ips are so dun worry about it.
Banning the IP range is risky. Consider the same russian spammer below:
[Image: ipban.jpg]
You can see that the IP has lots of difference in a single day. I can't ban all 91.*.*.* series as i got members from Germany having IP starting from 91.

(2010-10-19, 11:19 AM)Anman Wrote: [ -> ]Very good read on the subject: http://css-tricks.com/how-long-should-we-ban-ips/
I am not alone to have thought this Big Grin
I like the idea of moderating posts etc. via IP address, would love to see MyBB implement a similar feature.
Nope. It does nothing to anyone that knows how to google.
Pages: 1 2 3 4