MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: phpBB2 (forumotion) to MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello everyone,

I have a forumotion phpBB2 forum and I just created a new site with a sub-directory where I installed a new MyBB forum where there are no members except for myself and I haven't made any changes at all (no categories, etc.). I was wondering if it was possible to merge my forumotion forum to the new MyBB forum I just created. Is there a simple way to do it?

Thanks,
WG
Yes, but indirectly. You'll need a phpBB 3 forum to do this.

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic...5&t=861505
NOTE: An updated version of the converter is on this page.
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic...&start=300

What you basically do is download Python (if you're on Windows, Mac and Linux have them ready to go), and then edit some settings in a settings file (all the instructions to that are in the settings file inside but are commented).

Then, you run the script, and when it's done, you'll have members, topics/posts, and categories/forums SQL files. Upload that to your phpBB 3 installation, and then re-synchronize every forum in the phpBB 3 admin (damn, this might take a while cause they do it in a per-forum basis). Then, merge the phpBB 3 forum with MyBB.

NOTE: The converter randomly generates a password and you have to run another provided script to get the password sent out on the Forumotion forum.

Has it been done? Yes. This is an example of Forumotion to MyBB via. phpBB 3.
http://www.forumansion.com

I've also done Zetaboards (and Forumer IPB) to phpBB 2 to MyBB over here. But I don't really have time to do this anymore.
http://www.dashingforums.com
Hello,

Thank you for your help. However, I'm having problems with this part:

Quote:4) Import the SQL batch files members.sql, bots.sql, categories_forums.sql, topics_posts.sql and to the forum database, using the character set (encoding) of your forum. They must be imported in that order!
For English forums, use the "latin1", "iso8859-1" or "cp1252" encoding.
For other languages, please check the encoding that your forum uses (you can find the selected encoding under Firefox's "View->Character Encoding" or Internet Explorer's "Page->Encoding" menus), and import using that encoding.
Tip: Encodings which appear as "Windows-X" (where X is a number) are also referred to as "cpX" encodings.

What exactly am I supposed to do here?
You have to use phpMyAdmin to upload the .sql files (I assume you have created those) to your phpBB 3 database.

http://www.forumsrule.com/showthread.php?tid=905

Steps 1-4 on restoring the database is basically how you do it. NOTE: The tutorial is for uploading a database to a new host or to restore a backup, but it doesn't matter in this case, as the techniques are the same.

Just remember though, the sql files will truncate (wipe out) whatever is in the phpBB 3 data and replaces it with whatever you have. Also remember, a random password is generated, so be sure to run the script that PMs everyone their new password when the forums have been converted to MyBB.
Please keep in mind that this is not, and can not, be an officially support a merger from such free forum hosts that wont give you access to your database. These techniques should, and probably will, work, but cannot be officially supported.

We wish you the best of luck though! And welcome to MyBB!
(2010-10-21, 04:53 PM)Dylan M. Wrote: [ -> ]Please keep in mind that this is not, and can not, be an officially support a merger from such free forum hosts that wont give you access to your database. These techniques should, and probably will, work, but cannot be officially supported.

You're absolutely right, but we would end up converting from phpBB (depending on the converter, 2 or 3) at the end of the day, so what does it matter on your part? You've done your job, Dylan.

Besides, that's the only way I know of.
(2010-10-21, 02:34 PM)-AW- Wrote: [ -> ]You have to use phpMyAdmin to upload the .sql files (I assume you have created those) to your phpBB 3 database.

http://www.forumsrule.com/showthread.php?tid=905

Steps 1-4 on restoring the database is basically how you do it. NOTE: The tutorial is for uploading a database to a new host or to restore a backup, but it doesn't matter in this case, as the techniques are the same.

Just remember though, the sql files will truncate (wipe out) whatever is in the phpBB 3 data and replaces it with whatever you have. Also remember, a random password is generated, so be sure to run the script that PMs everyone their new password when the forums have been converted to MyBB.

Thank you but the link you gave me doesn't work.

Well I'll be, it's down.

http://www.forumansion.com/showthread.php?tid=10011

There's the same tutorial, posted on another site.
(2010-10-21, 08:18 PM)-AW- Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-10-21, 04:53 PM)Dylan M. Wrote: [ -> ]Please keep in mind that this is not, and can not, be an officially support a merger from such free forum hosts that wont give you access to your database. These techniques should, and probably will, work, but cannot be officially supported.

You're absolutely right, but we would end up converting from phpBB (depending on the converter, 2 or 3) at the end of the day, so what does it matter on your part? You've done your job, Dylan.

Besides, that's the only way I know of.

Oh, I'm not trying to discourage the person Smile
Just making sure they're aware that this isn't an official method. We can help with the second step, but the first step to get off forumotion is all 3rd party. Smile

And thanks for helping them.
So, I'm trying to transfer my users and their post counts to my new MyBB forum. I have the new forum all set up, and now I'm at the stage in the instructions where I run members_topics_posts.py

I keep getting hung up on the "Topic ID (#)....Transfering Step 4 of 14"

I actually had to restart because after about 5 hours of it being on topic 317 step 4, I just assumed it froze.

I'm running the entire thing again, (yes it went through ALL the users and forums and now I'm on the ID part for the 2nd time) and it still seems like this 'step 4' takes FOREVER on each topic. (This is even after my co-admins helped me delete tons of threads and topics)

What is this step 4? Is there any way I can speed it up?

if it helps anyone answer my questions, here is my forumotion forum:
clover.top-forum.net

and here is my new forum:
sweetcharm.net/forums

--------------

This is a separate question, but still related.
I have made a few themes already in the new forum, and my staff and I have made a few posts to keep notes. Must I delete these posts on the new MyBB forum in order for the transfer to work, or will the old topics/threads just be transferred along side?

PLEASE HELP! Thank you so much.
Pages: 1 2