MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to separate non activated users
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a reasonably new Forum based on the MyBB Group excellent work. I have no serious problems and since I am an ex phpBB user I must say that MyBB is far superior. Congratulations to the Group.
I only have one small problem, as my Forum started building up more users on a daily base. I only activate new users after I check their IP address from a spammers list. The problem is:
  • As the list of users is growing longer I have difficulty to find under the admin users page who are non activated. There is no special sequence such as listing in sequence of date of registration, and new users can be anywhere, which means that physically I have to click on most users to see if they are new or not. Is there a solution to this minor problem?
  • I have installed Akismet but I think it does not work with new user's IP. Is there another plugin that will check IPs of newly registered users? Then if it either separates or deletes spammers registration, can I select all users and approve them again (including those that where previously approved)?

Thank you very much

Costas
PS: My new Forum is: http://www.yourfree-blog.com/mybb_for/
There is an awaiting activation group, You can list the users two ways

ACP >> Users and Groups >> Groups and then select List Users from the control associated with the Awaiting Activation group.

The other way is to click the XX Awaiting Activation link from the main ACP page when you first sign in and it shows the forum stats.

AS for plugins, look into the StopForumSpam plugin.
1. Admin CP > Users & Groups > Users > Find Users. Then select Awaiting Activation from the first list and hit Find Users in the bottom. This will return a list of all users who are awaiting activation.
2. Install this: http://community.mybb.com/thread-63764.html

(pavemen beat me)
Hello pavemen and faviouz I wish to thank you both for taking the time and sending this information. You are very kind.
I downloaded the stopforumspam plugin and installed the one file under /inc/plugins/ but I cannot find from where to do the configuration listed in http://community.mybb.com/thread-63764.html
Since I am using ver 1.6.0 I also did the change stopforumspam.php from 14* to 16* I am not sure what is to be done next, just wait for some spam without any preconfiguration? Where will the spam be reported?
Any way I will do some more reading in the forum link, it has over 6 pages.

Thank you again

Costas
The SFS plugin does not stop or report spam, it uses a RBL type system to check new accounts at registration time to stop known spammers from registering in the first place.

Is there any reporting on who was rejected, such as IP, username or email? Otherwise how do we know that it works, or that it does not reject at random?

Thank you for your quick reply

Costas
I found the answer to configuration. It is under: Configuration / Board Settings / Stopforumspam.com check. I will wait and see for the rest.

Thank you all

Costas

I guess this thread is solved
I do not use the SFS plugin from the mods site as I have my own. My version records all attempts to register a blacklisted value, the number of times it has been attempted and the first and last time it was attempted.