MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Email notifications etc
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Could anyone give me any pointers in why our forum isn't sending out any email notifications - ie when people register they are not getting the email or pm no emails etc - I've setup the email as php - but not sure why

any ideas????

forum - www.dragracing-forum.com (if people want to try)

thanks in advance
Mail was sent by PHP

but nothing has come through -

<?php
error_reporting(E_ALL);

$to = 'my email';

if(mail($to, 'Testing mail', 'This is a mailing test to see if PHP mail works.'))
{
echo 'Mail was sent by PHP';
}
else
{
echo 'PHP could not send the mail';
}
?>

asking our webhost what is the problem - as it should be working
Yeah, if it said it sent but you didn't get anything it's a host issue, as this is plain and simple PHP here, no intervention from MyBB.
(2010-10-26, 09:52 AM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, if it said it sent but you didn't get anything it's a host issue, as this is plain and simple PHP here, no intervention from MyBB.
I got this from our host

Hello,

No mass mailers / spammers are allowed (account will be automatically suspended if you will try to send mass mail), so if your software supports such feature, disable it right now.

You can send up to 30 mails per 5 min and 100 emails per 1 hour (that makes up to 2400 emails per day).

Many Thanks,
Helpdesk Staff

which isn't very helpful

Unless you're already sending out a high number of emails that are getting through which means the ones to you get stopped, then that's totally irrelevant.
(2010-10-26, 02:08 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Unless you're already sending out a high number of emails that are getting through which means the ones to you get stopped, then that's totally irrelevant.
correct - I'm getting the impression that our webhost support have no idea what they are doing... perhaps they just want me to upgrade to pay accounts
You need to clarify with your host that you are not sending "Mass mails". Although MyBB uses that term to specify sending mail to all users, for most hosts mass mail == spam mail which is not true in case of forums.

Let them know that you are running a forum and that the mails being sent out are notifications for new accounts, new threads/replies and so on and they are not spam. Also let them know that you are giving your users options to opt out of such notifications.

Mention to them that the forum software has customizable options to limit the number of notification emails sent per hour so that they never go beyond the limit that host has set.

If after all that they still can't help you to get to the bottom of why emails are not working then its time to change hosts.
Also if you tell them that a script that sends a single email that isn't linked with MyBB at all also failed, that might help, and will also stop them blaming MyBB; hosts will very often blame the software before themselves.
I've been told they do support php emailing but cannot help set it up and as long as we don't get 1,000 of new users a day we should be ok, but still doesn't help why it doesn't work

----

this is going to sound a bit stupid but

Additional Parameters for PHP's mail()

should that have anything in it?
Pages: 1 2