MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 1.4 to 1.6, blank white page
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I just copied the files over for an upgrade, following all instructions from the wiki. I don't know the exact 1.4 version (presumably the last before 1.6) because in the wiki it says:

"You will see a drop down list asking what version of MyBB you're upgrading from. Be sure you select the correct version you are currently using or else the upgrade will not work correctly or completely!"

It tells you this after you've already uploaded the 1.6 files! I'm not quite sure what the old version number was. Anyhow, I followed the instructions fine and did the CHMOD steps. When I try accessing the forum or the upgrade PHP file, nothing happens. White page. When I try to view source, nothing there either. The URL is: www.outlawstar.co.uk/forums

Thanks.
Surely someone knows something? This is my second attempt to upgrade to 1.6 (the first was months ago), and it will probably be my last (sadly) if this does not work. It is truly a shame, but I'll have to maintain the forum with potential security vulnerabilities if upgrading does not work.
Very few people have no idea what version they're running.

What version of PHP do you have??
Well, I imagine someone else who hasn't touched his forum in months won't have memorised the exact version number. I'm not sure of the PHP version either. :/ You see, the host has loaned me the domain in return for ad placement. Soon I'll be buying full rights to the domain, which will include a site transfer. Limited information was disclosed and I don't have any kind of cPanel access.

I also have a suspicion, now that you mention it, that it might be a PHP4 version. (5 is current, right?) Honestly though, I feel the new PHP version requirement should be mentioned in the upgrade guide. Indeed, it does not matter for most people, but then there will be the odd person like me who doesn't have control over it. Assuming it is a PHP problem, I guess I'll delete and throw the 1.4 files (all backed up) back on the server. As I couldn't run the upgrade PHP file I guess the only changes I need to make is changing the CHMOD permissions again...
(2010-10-26, 11:51 AM)Fluid Mantis Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly though, I feel the new PHP version requirement should be mentioned in the upgrade guide.

The Upgrade page links to the Requirements page, where it's stated quite clearly that PHP version 5.1.0 or above with XML Extension installed is required to run MyBB.
I stand corrected. I assumed that 1.6 would have the same requirements as 1.4 PHP-wise, so that is my error. Thanks for your help anyway guys.