MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Character encoding issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi!

I got hold of this super-old MyBB installation (1.2.13) which I am trying to migrate to 1.4. I have a MySQL dump and all the installation and upgrade files to do so.

I load the sql dump without any issue: its character encoding is UTF8 and the tables are created using UTF8, as shown in Screenshot 1. If I query the database, all the special characters (òàùèéì) are displayed properly.

When I access the forum though all those characters are substituted by question marks (?) as shown in screenshot 2.

I can't proceed with the update process knowing that most probably once I get to the end of it my forum will be unreadable.

I know this might be an issue related to MyBB 1.2.* series but I am still hoping you guys could help me. Wink

Thanks!
Why would you want to upgrade it to 1.4?? 1.6 is the latest release...

Does it show like that in all browsers?? I'm no expert in encoding but if it's displayed correctly in the database it would sound more to be a problem with the browser displaying it rather than the database itself.
I thought that going through all the releases from 1.2.* to 1.6 was the best way to upgrade. Hence why I have to go through 1.4. Isn't that the case?

It shows like that in all browsers (Chrome, FF, and IE).