MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Can you make private categories?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is it possible to create private categories and boards that are only displayed to people in specific user groups?

thanks...
Yes, this is possible. When adding a board, just set the permissions so only certain usergroups can view it, make posts in those forums etc. If you just deny all permissions to groups you don't want to have access, they won't be able to even see it Smile
I did that but it still shows on the index page but it does ask for a password, but thats it, it does not make it invisible to non-group members. Can you make it invisible to non-group members?

Thanks....
Yes, using the forum permissions editor you can. You have setup a password for the forum - but those groups who can view it will always see it nomatter if they have the password or not.

Go to Forum Permissions on the left menu, and then for each group you want to change the permissions for click [Set Permissions] or [Edit Permissions] for the group associated with the forum you want the permissions set for.
Hi,

I had the same problem. I am using 1.0 RC4.

By default, when you set permissions to nothing in the permissions matrix it STILL shows the forum. What I found was that if I actually go to the more comprehensive Permissions page that a few things are set to Yes even though there is no reason they should be.

Can Post Attachments
Can Edit Own Posts
Can Delete Own Posts
Can Edit Own Attachments

Those are all set to Yes. Why? If i am setting blanket permissions for a group and unchecked "All" why are these 4 set to yes, thus making the forum still visible.

Setting those to No makes it invisible, as intended, until a group member logs in.

Ken