MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Evercookie - A dream or reality?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

lately I have heard some things about "evercookie". I've been searching and found the following sites:

http://samy.pl/evercookie/
http://www.geek.com/articles/news/everco...-20100922/

The first link is a link directly to the page of the new development, the second is an interesting documentary.

Well, this tool was created by a hacker, and seems to be ideal to find multiple accounts. But when will the first tools release, which allows to delete evercookie completly or bann the script from the computer? Will evercookie di its job? Or is even evercookie are becoming more sophisticated and at some point almost invincible?
Definitely a nice tool Toungue
This is why browsers should lock down a little more.
I'm now using it on one of my boards. It works awesome. Just banned 7 users with double accounts.
If I ever find a site I visit using it, I will never go back to it.

evercookie is akin to hacking my computer. if I do not want you to put data on my computer I should be able to not do it. Of course this can be avoided by disabling JS in my browser, but then what about all the other JS features on a site. Since it is out of the browser's control and it is opensource, what is stopping a a malicious website from accessing the cookie info for other sites?

right now browsers can be set to limit or stop third party cookie access, so site X can not access cookies for site y.
That's how I feel about it. It seems like a breach of user trust to me. If someone can explain how this isn't malicious I'd be happy to listen, as admittedly I don't know a lot about this.
Is it even legal? I mean, under the DPA you MUST be able to delete any personal data a site holds on you. I suppose you could disable js but thats stupid. I dont think it'll be long before they get sued.
(2010-11-04, 10:04 PM)Tommyk Wrote: [ -> ]Is it even legal? I mean, under the DPA you MUST be able to delete any personal data a site holds on you. I suppose you could disable js but thats stupid. I dont think it'll be long before they get sued.

If you can store it, you _should_ be able to also delete it. It may not be as user friendly as it would be clicking a button to clear cookies though Toungue
From what I have been reading on this, CCleaner, BleachBit and other apps will delete the evercookie, but its dependent on you running those apps and not just using basic browser settings.
(2010-11-04, 10:04 PM)Tommyk Wrote: [ -> ]Is it even legal? I mean, under the DPA you MUST be able to delete any personal data a site holds on you. I suppose you could disable js but thats stupid. I dont think it'll be long before they get sued.

Technically the data is stored on your computer, not their servers.
Pages: 1 2