MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Does a PC slow down when ~75% of the memory is being used?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
My home computer (1 Windows Vista & 1 XP) normally runs fast & when the memory is ~75% "being used", then it seems to slow down a bit, but this could be my imagination.
  • Does a PC slow down when ~75% of the memory (the actual memory, not "virtual memory") is being used?
  • Why / How since it still has ~25% left? Toungue
Check the CPU when you're using 75% of your RAM and see what it is at. RAM shouldn't impact speed unless you're using a lot of swap/virtual memory or your applications aren't managing the memory properly. The slowdown can also be caused by high disk IO.

What are you normally doing when you reach around 75% of your RAM?
(2010-10-28, 07:15 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]What are you normally doing...
I missed your answer before, thanks (Ku)Joe:

My 'base package', shortly after re-boot:
XAMPP, Firefox, Dropbox, WinSCP, MS OneNote, PuTTY Connection Manager, AntiVirus, etc
= ~590MB

(2010-10-28, 07:15 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]...when you reach around 75% of your RAM?

Later (sometimes) add:
Excel, Chrome, Dreamweaver and / or Fireworks, WinMerge, WinAmp or WMP, IE (yuck), etc
= ~1050 to 1400MB

FYI: CPU check is good advice which I'm already aware of.
When a Windows update (for example) suddenly hogs ~50 to 70% of the CPU, I can always tell right away.
  • Working with 2Gigs of real memory, when the usage gets over ~1500MB (75%), then saving something in Dreamweaver and / or Fireworks seems to take longer.
^^^
Doesn't make sense, really, so...
...this could be my imagination.

I'm going to re-boot less often and see what happens if I'm using ~1600 to 1800MB.

At least XP and Vista don't get the "Blue Screen Of..."

[Image: BSOD.gif]

When 75 percent are used i also noticed this. I got to the conclusion that it's the page file kicking in more often.
^^^
Possibly 'yes' dikidera,
~500MB (out of 2Gigs) is not a small amount*
*Only 5 (or 7) years ago, 500MB was a "standard" amount of total (real) memory for a decent computer.

The the page file (virtual memory) could explain a slow-down, but if 1/2 Gig of real memory is available (and CPU), with little i/o action, then it really doesn't make sense.
I have 2 gigs of ram, and when i get close to 75% i get the slow down. Blame it on M$
(2010-12-04, 11:49 AM)dikidera Wrote: [ -> ]I have 2 gigs of ram, and when i get close to 75% i get the slow down. Blame it on M$

OK, so you are seeing exactly what I seem to have. I'm still curious about:
  • Why / How since it still has ~25% (500MB) left over? Toungue
Thanks

Keep in mind that a lot of programs like Adobe/Microsoft products load your project (whatever you're working on) in RAM so when you are using up a lot of RAM whatever you're working on might be moved to paging/swap and when you go to edit/save it after being moved to paging/swap you'll notice it.
My PC has 8GB ram and an AMD 965BE (3.4ghz x4 cores), and my PC slows down at like 25% RAM sometimes. That is probably, like kujoe said, because of high Disk IO or CPU bottlenecking Smile
I guess make smaller page file. Tommyk, try increasing the NB speed to see if there is any help
Pages: 1 2 3