MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: I need an opinion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I need an opinion. should i make it where people have to signup to view threads or make it where anyone can view. I dont know because a lot of forums have it this way and is it something im missing.
not guest view means no search engine view which means a lot less traffic.
(2010-11-03, 08:51 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]not guest view means no search engine view which means a lot less traffic.

Im not sure thats strictly true. Search engines (like google and yahoo and msn) have their own accounts dont they? Maybe only smaller ones would be blocked.
they dont have accounts, they get a name other than "guest" and no special features. plus it violates most search engine rules about providing content to spiders but not to guests. it can get your site blocked or reduced page rank
Allow users to view threads but not all forums.
Make certain forums exclusive.

It bugs me when I can't view how the forum is before signing up so I'd rather leave than to register.

Allow enough for the users to see how the board is, and if they want more features; access to other forums, to maybe hyperlinks, attachments, and anything else you offer - then they can sign up.
Move the search engines to a different group.
(2010-11-03, 09:40 PM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]Move the search engines to a different group.

what is the point of allowing search engine to see and index a thread that a guest can not view? if a person searches and find your site, they can view some or all of the contents via the search engine results.

and the popular search engines frown upon special treatment anyway.
(2010-11-03, 09:49 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-11-03, 09:40 PM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]Move the search engines to a different group.

what is the point of allowing search engine to see and index a thread that a guest can not view? if a person searches and find your site, they can view some or all of the contents via the search engine results.

Can they see the difference?
(2010-11-03, 10:21 PM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-11-03, 09:49 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]

Can they see the difference?

they are bots Wink
Yes, but they also have a human master in the background. If your links get reported for this as paveman said they lower your rankings or just stop indexing your site if they like.
Pages: 1 2