MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How is this multiple image PNG done?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Maybe you have seen in a game Minecraft, uTorrent and the like where they use a single PNG image where various icons are stored, but they get used on different locations in the program itself.

Example:[Image: 394]

How is this phenomenon called, cause i sure as hell dont know. How do you create this png, and where can i find examples(code) on how to achieve this?
its called a CSS Sprite. CSS is used to define the portion of that master image to display.
Sprite, used by big websites, YouTube, Google, etc.

Reduces load methinks.
they reduce the number of HTML requests made to the server and slightly reduce the overall ytes required to download a page as image headers are less, but you need to counter than with more CSS to download
Thanks a lot. Starting to explore on that Smile
Yea... Ya use sprites when you code in like C++ and stuff too. One big sheet of a guy moving in different directions then you can use that to make the little dood move.
(2010-11-05, 07:47 PM)dikidera Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks a lot. Starting to explore on that Smile

as far as I know, if you are going to do it in mybb, you need to build an entire theme and template set around sprites