MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Unique Name or Niche Name
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just wondering what you guys think is a better name. People always say like if you have a gaming forum, the domain name should contain the word "gaming" or something.

I've been told before that my domain names were stupid (I've owned Trasion.com, Dialatic.com, Primady.com, and Zoovix.com).

But think about it.. Google.com was a random name, do you think it would be as popular if it was named "searchengine.com"?

What do you think is best for a domain name? A unique name to build a brand (gives your website an identity), or a name related to your niche?

EDIT: I voted for the wrong thing.. lmao.
Depends on what kind of traffic you plan on getting. Niche names are better for search engines, unique names (to some extent) are better for viral traffic and brandability.
(2010-11-07, 03:18 PM)Zash Wrote: [ -> ]brandability.

key term ^ read up on it children Wink
Random names are best,
Things like a gaming forum must have the word "Game" in it, already displays somekind of cheap and easy attitude towards me...
And i tend to avoid those sites.
I hate how I can't tell the difference between..

gfxforums.net, gfxforum.com, gfxforums.com, gfxforums.net, gfxforumz.com, gfxforumz.net... They all look the same to me. And most of those are real GFX sites.

That's why I think brand-ability is much better.
It's not like you can't brand a name that has a niche term. For example, I think NanoSkinners says more about what we do than "Zurperflurg" would, and it's brandable.
I agree NanoSkinners is a good name. It has a brand name plus what you do. But other niche domains don't do the same.
A random name, one that means something to you. It's unique and in a way a personal identity.
(2010-11-07, 03:43 PM)Dialatic Wrote: [ -> ]I agree NanoSkinners is a good name. It has a brand name plus what you do. But other niche domains don't do the same.

I thought you said NanoSnickers.. Lol :-)