MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: My Suggestions For MyBB 2.0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'll start off with this one:

MyBB is supposed to be the simplest forum software, and generally speaking it is. You should write the scripts where if someone installs a plug-in, it automatically installs on all the skins and not just on the default one. I have found myself having to go through and hand code the plugins into the other skins (it's not hard, it's just time consuming :p ; keep in mind that i spent two months hand coding with phpbb, so i'm not complaining Wink ).

This is just the first i've thought pf, i'll try to update when i think of more. Go ahead and rip me to pieces with comments, rude or otherwise Smile
(2010-11-08, 03:26 AM)~Rs Wrote: [ -> ]I'll start off with this one:

MyBB is supposed to be the simplest forum software, and generally speaking it is. You should write the scripts where if someone installs a plug-in, it automatically installs on all the skins and not just on the default one. I have found myself having to go through and hand code the plugins into the other skins (it's not hard, it's just time consuming :p ; keep in mind that i spent two months hand coding with phpbb, so i'm not complaining Wink ).

This is just the first i've thought pf, i'll try to update when i think of more. Go ahead and rip me to pieces with comments, rude or otherwise Smile

Technically they're supposed to, but it's entirely up to the plugin developer, and if the theme is structured different from what the plugin expects then it will fail to add the new plugin's changes.

The two things I wanted as far as theme<->plugin compatibility are templated toplinks plugins add in a hook instead of the manual add-them-in it is now, and to have the table frame be it's own template to make it far easier to keep themes consistent.
(2010-11-08, 03:26 AM)~Rs Wrote: [ -> ]You should write the scripts where if someone installs a plug-in, it automatically installs on all the skins and not just on the default one.

It's really up to the plugin author to accomplish this. MyBB's find_replace_templatesets function, which many people already use, will alter every template in every theme. The main issue is that you need to deactivate/activate the plugin if you install a new theme to ensure that the changes affect it too.
(2010-11-08, 08:32 AM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]The main issue is that you need to deactivate/activate the plugin if you install a new theme to ensure that the changes affect it too.

Making it automatically run the function when a new theme is installed wouldn't be a bad suggestion though...
(2010-11-08, 08:32 AM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-11-08, 03:26 AM)~Rs Wrote: [ -> ]You should write the scripts where if someone installs a plug-in, it automatically installs on all the skins and not just on the default one.

It's really up to the plugin author to accomplish this. MyBB's find_replace_templatesets function, which many people already use, will alter every template in every theme. The main issue is that you need to deactivate/activate the plugin if you install a new theme to ensure that the changes affect it too.

where do i find MyBB's find_replace_templatesets function and how do i install?
(2010-11-08, 11:23 PM)~Rs Wrote: [ -> ]where do i find MyBB's find_replace_templatesets function and how do i install?

It's just a function used in plugins to edit templates - it's not something you can install.
okay, thanks ajs
deactivating and reactivating the plugin might insert the codes in the new theme Wink