MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Transferring Domains
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been using 1.4.13 on my old domain, but I decided this week that Yahoo webhosting has just got to go! I've reserved a new domainname, and I'm ready to start transferring.

Problem: I can't upgrade to 1.6 on the old forum. How can I go about creating a new forum home and merging the 1.4.13 into the 1.6 version? Can I create a new forum with 1.4, merge them and then upgrade?

New Domain: www.thehebrewcafe.com

Thanks!
The new domain should already be pointing to your new hosting account, so all you should need to do is change your Board URL and cookie settings in the ACP of the current forum to match the new domain (this will mean you can't login to the current forum anymore) then take a backup of all your files (just download them to your computer) and backup your database via phpMyAdmin. Then on the new host, upload your files to the new file system, create a new database, import your backup to it, and then edit your ./inc/config.php file to point to the new database. Then everything should start working on the new domain straight away.

What you'll need to make sure of is that your new domain and hosting is full active, and that if you were to put files onto the new host, you could access them with the new domain straight away. If that's all set up and working then the transfer can happen quickly. Then you can setup a redirect for the old domain to redirect to the new one. Also make sure you don't get right of the old hosting until everything is setup on the new one.

Ask if you're unsure about anything.
(2010-11-08, 01:01 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]The new domain should already be pointing to your new hosting account, so all you should need to do is change your Board URL and cookie settings in the ACP of the current forum to match the new domain (this will mean you can't login to the current forum anymore) then take a backup of all your files (just download them to your computer) and backup your database via phpMyAdmin. Then on the new host, upload your files to the new file system, create a new database, import your backup to it, and then edit your ./inc/config.php file to point to the new database. Then everything should start working on the new domain straight away.

What you'll need to make sure of is that your new domain and hosting is full active, and that if you were to put files onto the new host, you could access them with the new domain straight away. If that's all set up and working then the transfer can happen quickly. Then you can setup a redirect for the old domain to redirect to the new one. Also make sure you don't get right of the old hosting until everything is setup on the new one.

Ask if you're unsure about anything.

I'm not really sure what you mean at all. I have nothing set up on the new domain in terms of MyBB. I don't want to take the wrong step first. What's the first thing I need to do to perform a transfer?

I really have no idea what to do to bring everything over. I would assume that I should install 1.4.13 on the new server, merge the two boards, then upgrade. I don't understand what you meant in your post, though. Could you clarify?
Is there a place where I can download version 1.4?
Also, is there still a merge system for 1.4? I just might be in a bad place. I don't see how I can merge 1.4 at all.
I know you don't have anything on the new host, what I said was to make sure the actual account is fully setup so you can start using it.

Follow my instructions and you will be fine. You don't need to install 1.4.13 or merge anything. I've explained what to do to bring everything over, not sure how I could rephrase it...

Change the Board URL and cookie settings so they're for the new URL.
Backup files and database.
Upload files to new host.
Create new database on new host.
Import backup to new database.
Edit new database details into ./inc/config.php
New URL will load the forum on the new server, then you can upgrade the forum as normal.
(2010-11-09, 10:13 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Change the Board URL and cookie settings so they're for the new URL.
Backup files and database.
Upload files to new host.
Create new database on new host.
Import backup to new database.
Edit new database details into ./inc/config.php
New URL will load the forum on the new server, then you can upgrade the forum as normal.

This is great. Smile

I'll let you know how it goes. I'll start the move tomorrow night.

Thanks a lot!

(I don't know why, but the listed instructions seem much clearer to me.)
Try eWeb Domains; they're cheap as h3ll! Smile
The transfer went EXTREMELY smoothly! Thanks!!

I'm going to start the upgrade now.

Everything's very appreciated.
Upgrade went perfectly, too. DreamHost is already much better than Yahoo. Thanks for the recommendation. Smile
Good to hear Smile

I'd never buy hosting from a company like Yahoo, they're never as good as smaller companies that just offer hosting, it's not as 'intimate' and they often have their servers setup in ways that make them unusable to many people running serious sites. Companies that are primarily domain registrars that also offer hosting, like GoDaddy, should also generally be avoided, as their hosting usually isn't great either. Plus DreamHost use MyBB for their forums so deserve a plug Toungue

Post back if you need any help with anything else.