MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Storm Chasers - an interesting question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So I was watching the show Storm Chasers tonight, and saw that a chaser named Shawn had received a link to a YouTube video about his drivers driving (he's mainly a film man, along with a driver and his navigator/radar checker). The video highlights their vehicle going in and out of traffic. Normally, I don't care what peoples opinions are on things like this, but do you think what they did is "wrong" or "illegal"? I personally don't.

Sirens were going off, and people were parked on the side of the road taking pictures, and videos - and, in order to do their job, they were going in and out of traffic to try to get closer to an intercept point to the tornado. Also, there is another team that drives a vehicle called the dominator that also records videos, but they are more towards collecting scientific data. Shawn and his team do this as well, but they are mainly trying to get videos for an IMAX film. What makes me think it was just them doing their job, is that people should have been inside; not outside recording videos and taking pictures. It's not like it was just some guy doing it to not have to be behind 80+ cars so he didn't have to sit in traffic. So, what is your opinion?

The Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iMdJy3qMak
Above is a link to the video that Shawn showed his driver in the show. And if you watch the show: yes, this is the actual video; I know this because Shawn reads part of the caption.
>no passing zone
>several cars
>no storm in sight
>going up hill

Need I say more?

Also, Kruzzen?
(2010-11-12, 04:59 AM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]>no passing zone
>several cars
>no storm in sight
>going up hill

Need I say more?

Also, Kruzzen?

It's fair to assume you didn't watch the episode, or read the comments on the video. They were chasing a storm to the right of all that traffic; if the guys with the camera would have turned their camera to the right, you would have seen it (a decent yards away).

Also, so if there would have been a storm in sight to you, would that change your mind on the legality of it? And I also shouldn't have to mention they are doing this for scientifical reasons; their not just some novice chasers out trying to get a cool YouTube video.

Kruzzen?
He means is that Shawn from MyBB, (Kruzzen) the user. He was also a storm chaser.
he is not driving an 'exempt' emergency vehicle with red/blue flashing lights and a siren so he has to follow the rules of the road just like everyone else.
(2010-11-12, 05:24 AM)x_Stricken_x Wrote: [ -> ]
>several cars
>no storm in sight
>going up hill

Need I say more?

Also, Kruzzen?

It's fair to assume you didn't watch the episode, or read the comments on the video. They were chasing a storm to the right of all that traffic; if the guys with the camera would have turned their camera to the right, you would have seen it (a decent yards away).

Also, so if there would have been a storm in sight to you, would that change your mind on the legality of it? And I also shouldn't have to mention they are doing this for scientifical reasons; their not just some novice chasers out trying to get a cool YouTube video.

Kruzzen?

The law is the law there should be no exceptions if some one is doing it for "scientifical reasons" if every one doesn't follow the law for their own "reasons" then there will be havoc.
(2010-11-12, 03:10 PM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]He means is that Shawn from MyBB, (Kruzzen) the user. He was also a storm chaser.
Ahh, no it's not lol

(2010-11-12, 03:59 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]he is not driving an 'exempt' emergency vehicle with red/blue flashing lights and a siren so he has to follow the rules of the road just like everyone else.
I suppose that's a fair point.

(2010-11-12, 03:59 PM)wethegreenpeople Wrote: [ -> ]
>several cars
>no storm in sight
>going up hill

Need I say more?

Also, Kruzzen?

Kruzzen?

The law is the law there should be no exceptions if some one is doing it for "scientifical reasons" if every one doesn't follow the law for their own "reasons" then there will be havoc.
I would understand this except for the fact that there was NO oncoming traffic, so the guys describing it in the video isn't accurate and were just being dramatical. If it was me, I would simply have recorded the video for the fact that I saw them. Now if there was oncoming traffic, then I could understand the whole "Oh my god, somebody is going to die!" repetitions.
It's only really the first car who is in danger, I doubt the lead car would overtake in such dangerous positions and once they are clear they can radio back to the rest if there are any oncoming cars.

I certainly wouldn't be driving like that but it probably isn't as dangerous as it seems.
(2010-11-13, 03:20 AM)x_Stricken_x Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-11-12, 03:10 PM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]He means is that Shawn from MyBB, (Kruzzen) the user. He was also a storm chaser.
Ahh, no it's not lol

(2010-11-12, 03:59 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]he is not driving an 'exempt' emergency vehicle with red/blue flashing lights and a siren so he has to follow the rules of the road just like everyone else.
I suppose that's a fair point.

(2010-11-12, 03:59 PM)wethegreenpeople Wrote: [ -> ]
>several cars
>no storm in sight
>going up hill

Need I say more?

Also, Kruzzen?

Kruzzen?

I would understand this except for the fact that there was NO oncoming traffic, so the guys describing it in the video isn't accurate and were just being dramatical. If it was me, I would simply have recorded the video for the fact that I saw them. Now if there was oncoming traffic, then I could understand the whole "Oh my god, somebody is going to die!" repetitions.

So they got lucky that there was "No oncoming traffic" but they had no way of knowing that (unless theres an off chance that the lead vehicle radioed back) which is why its always a no passing zone on going uphill as you can not see oncoming traffic. It was a solid yellow line and they were crossing it.

As pavemen said, just doing it for scientific reasons does not make them exempt, if they want to be exempt they can apply for permits and have warning lights and sirens on their vehicles which will warn other vehicle users of their presence

Its easy to look back and say its ok since they got away with it, but think about it, had there been oncoming traffic, would we be having the same discussion?? Would you still feel they were right because they were doing it for science? Can you look at it from the perspective of the oncoming vehicle??
i have "chased" three landfalling hurricanes in "the name of science" for the company I work for and I have never been given any special privileges to violate the law. I have been given special clearance/passes to get into places to assess damage and such, but have never been given a free pass to break the law.

I have sat through two of them, in fact being the only one driving towards the coast during landfall while the entire community is leaving town is rather eerie
Pages: 1 2