MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Problem with "New Posts" Marker
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey together,

my users are complaining about randomly appearing "New Post" marks for forums in which are no new posts. I guess that this happens, if they access posts via "show new posts"-Link and then the associated forums don't get mark as read.

They also complaining that sometimes are not all new posts are shown through the "show new posts"-link.

Are these bugs known? Are there any fixes?

greetz,

lorus
The first part is a bug - http://dev.mybb.com/issues/1203
No, this bug isn't exactly what I described.

If there is a new post in a forum and I navigate to this new post through the "View New Posts"-Link, then the forum stays marked as unread, despite that there are no unread threads inside this forum.
That's a known issue of the system as it would be to intensive to, every time you read a thread, check the rest of that forum, and any subforums in there, and all subforums in those subforums etc, for if there are any threads still unread.
(2010-11-12, 02:18 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]That's a known issue of the system as it would be to intensive to, every time you read a thread, check the rest of that forum, and any subforums in there, and all subforums in those subforums etc, for if there are any threads still unread.

Are there any fixes for this issue planned?
Yes, it's the same issue. For example, on this board, with the 'MyBB 1.4 General Support' forum, there's an 'Installation Help' forum inside; if a post was made in there, if you read the thread, and then went back to the index, 'Installation Help' would show no new posts but 'MyBB 1.4 General Support' still would.
(2010-11-12, 02:30 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, it's the same issue. For example, on this board, with the 'MyBB 1.4 General Support' forum, there's an 'Installation Help' forum inside; if a post was made in there, if you read the thread, and then went back to the index, 'Installation Help' would show no new posts but 'MyBB 1.4 General Support' still would.

So its a known bug, but your are not willing to fix it, right?
(2011-01-18, 03:59 PM)lorus Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-11-12, 02:30 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, it's the same issue. For example, on this board, with the 'MyBB 1.4 General Support' forum, there's an 'Installation Help' forum inside; if a post was made in there, if you read the thread, and then went back to the index, 'Installation Help' would show no new posts but 'MyBB 1.4 General Support' still would.

So its a known bug, but your are not willing to fix it, right?

If you upgraded your forum to 1.6.1 then it should be fixed.
There's two different bugs here. One was the forums getting marked unread after 7 days, which was fixed in 1.6.1. The one you quoted would need a total rewrite of the thread markers system to fix it.