MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Signatures or no Signatures?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What do people allow on their own forums for their members to have?
Signatures but no images. Too many images that aren't in the context of the post creates a lot of visual pollution.
It depends on the forum. One forum I visit it's customary but not required to have a text-only signature and I don't have any problem just having a text only sig. However, almost every other forum I visit allows images and I like seeing some of the better ones.
i strictly forbid URL's in signatures.

Weekly, i make a search for all members who have URL's in sig and ban them permanently.
We use the default MyBB settings for signatures. Most of our users don't use signatures, but we don't have a "tech board" more a science board.

Here are some stats:

Users: 717
Users with a signature: 31
Users with an URL in signature: 4
Users with an image in signature: 1

Rolleyes So I don't see a reason to disallow signatures.
(2010-11-13, 10:42 AM)Nayar Wrote: [ -> ]i strictly forbid URL's in signatures.

Weekly, i make a search for all members who have URL's in sig and ban them permanently.

why?
(2010-11-13, 10:42 AM)Nayar Wrote: [ -> ]i strictly forbid URL's in signatures.

WTH Would you do that?

(2010-11-13, 12:13 PM)querschlaeger Wrote: [ -> ]We use the default MyBB settings for signatures. Most of our users don't use signatures, but we don't have a "tech board" more a science board.

Here are some stats:

Users: 717
Users with a signature: 31
Users with an URL in signature: 4
Users with an image in signature: 1

Rolleyes So I don't see a reason to disallow signatures.

Dood, how you found those stats?

I allow everything in my siggys. But first sight of some one with a link to some random site is getting perma banned no questions asked. Im tried of these damn bots xD
Depends on the site.
On GFX Forums, I allow 650x200 or 200x400 maximum. I shouldn't disallow members to show-off their graphics on a graphics forum.

On Random Forum, I allow 300x100 maximum.
(2010-11-13, 04:07 PM)wethegreenpeople Wrote: [ -> ]Dood, how you found those stats?

I just made a db search especially for this thread. Wink

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM `mybb_users` WHERE `signature` != ''

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM `mybb_users` WHERE `signature` LIKE '%[url%'

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM `mybb_users` WHERE `signature` LIKE '%[img%'
have always believed you can tell a lot about the person by their sig

huge & overstated
small & to the point

it says a lot about them if you think about it so I encourage it & if they are active & want their site included then why not, members can't be stolen only otherwise engaged.
Pages: 1 2