MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Love the software but updating no way
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Been using & running a MyBB forum or 2 for almost 2 years now & love it. My server host has an install program & installed it for me on both sites & I have been able to install & work any plugin I wanted to try. I have learned to edit themes to put what I want where & have one that is a very successful site.

The other I have tried to update 4 times with zero success so has become more of a test site to destroy over & over trying to update & fail. I am in no way complaining because MyBB is free & a great product to use, but there is absolutely no way I would risk my main site by trying to update it & not about to pay or even give access to anyone else to do it for me.

Love your software but will be on 1.4 until someone writes directions that understands some of us use MyBB because it is very friendly to those of us that are self taught & don't know what chmod is or exactly how the new folders are to be copied into our root directory (as a whole or one @ a time & in what order)

autoupdater would be really nice for those of us that enjoy learning but work with our hands for a living.
Hmm, I have always found updating easy.

I assume you have FTP access? If so, you should be able to easily update Smile

Mybb's updater is virtually automated, you jus have to click a few buttons to start it Wink
You must be doing something wrong if this upgrade is causing such trouble. What actually happens when you upgrade??
yes I have ftp access & virtually automated it may seem to people that know these things that seem as simple to you as building a round wall is to me, but reverse the task & you might understand my meaning. But thanks for your answer.
Upgrading is no harder than installing, it requires pretty much the exact same steps to be taken.

Backup database and deactivate plugins.
Upload files, apart from ./inc/settings.php. Same as when you install, this time they just need to overwrite the current files. You shouldn't need to CHMOD anything again.
Instead of going to ./install/index.php, you go to ./install/upgrade.php, choose your old version, and click next a few times.

If you can better explain what's actually happening, we'll be able to tell you what you're doing wrong.
I have tried several ways to copy the new file, one by one, as the entire folder so probably not doing that right am guessing. I have no idea what a chmod is or where to edit it or which 666 or 777 I need or where to look to see. After several different angles of looking at Go to www.yourdomain.com/forumfolder/install/upgrade.php I finally figured out what to put in to reach I think the page I need but makes no sense to me as is a lot of print with a login box (only thing I do understand) that won't login.

I am sure it is set up to work fine, but the directions lose me.

Thanks for answering, not complaining at all am very happy with 1.4 just wanted to point out as easy as the program is to use & learn it is very hard for us not knowing all the terms & twist to update
(2010-11-12, 11:00 PM)__JJ__ Wrote: [ -> ]I have tried several ways to copy the new file, one by one, as the entire folder so probably not doing that right am guessing. I have no idea what a chmod is or where to edit it or which 666 or 777 I need or where to look to see.
In your FTP client, right click on the folder or file and click "Properties / CHMOD".

It may just say "Properties" depending on your FTP client.

There, should be a 3 digit number under "Permissions"
666, 755, 777 for example.

That's of course changeable.

Here's a guide with screenshots:
http://www.siteground.com/tutorials/ftp/ftp_chmod.htm
One by one?? No you just upload everything at once, it will overwrite the old versions of the files. The CHMODs will already be set to what they need to be, you shouldn't need to do anything more to those. That URL is a example URL, it should be fairly obvious what you have to replace to make it a URL for your forum. If your URL is www.google.com/forum/, you'd go to www.google.com/forum/install/upgrade.php to upgrade. What's the text showing on the login page??

Have you never upgraded your 1.4 forum from what it was on when you originally installed...?? If you've been running this forum for 2 years and have never upgraded it, you've been vulnerable to some serious well known security vulnerabilities, and you've had hundreds of unfixed bugs on your forum.
I actually found it very easy to update the software i had no troubles.
the wiki guide is quite simple to follow and 9 times out of 10 you don't have to worry bout chmod as the files should be writable from installing 1.4.
lol Yeah it was very straight forward.

Make a back up of all the old files (Good idea to do if you edited any).

Make backups of the database (Good for a restore, but if you have a good host they should have backups too).

De-activate all the plugins, upload all the 1.6 files at once, & then run the update which is very much like the install.
It's just a few steps, and it's done.

Turn back on all the plugins (after manually replacing the version 14* to 16* via Notepad++) and everything is up & running perfectly.
Pages: 1 2 3