MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Search Engine Friendly Urls! Come on MyBB!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
From my understanding, SE-friendly URLs will be a built-in feature of the next upcoming MyBB version. But please, MyBB development team, PLEASE just use Google SEO and build it in as a standard feature of the next MyBB [version] release! Please don't make us all have to change our URL formats; we'll all lose SE rankings!
(2010-11-18, 02:47 AM)EGS Wrote: [ -> ]From my understanding, SE-friendly URLs will be a built-in feature of the next upcoming MyBB version. But please, MyBB development team, PLEASE just use Google SEO and build it in as a standard feature of the next MyBB [version] release! Please don't make us all have to change our URL formats; we'll all lose SE rankings!

A strong reason to simply use default dynamic URLs.

The importance of SEO URLs is incredibly over rated. It's an attempt to overcompensate for an inability to have real link building ability and unique content creation.

I don't care what MyBB ends up doing for SEO. The best adjustments you can make are custom anyways.
(2010-11-18, 04:48 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]A strong reason to simply use default dynamic URLs.

The importance of SEO URLs is incredibly over rated. It's an attempt to overcompensate for an inability to have real link building ability and unique content creation.

I don't care what MyBB ends up doing for SEO. The best adjustments you can make are custom anyways.

I like the type of URLs the Google SEO plugin generates due to the fact that it gives me a better indication of the actual or original topic rather than what may be an off-topic post within some random thread that happens to match my search terms.
Even then, Google SEO's "Friendly URLs" are easily customizable, so what's there to complain about?
(2010-11-18, 03:52 PM)-AW- Wrote: [ -> ]Even then, Google SEO's "Friendly URLs" are easily customizable, so what's there to complain about?
Because people like to complain Toungue
(2010-11-18, 04:57 AM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]I like the type of URLs the Google SEO plugin generates due to the fact that it gives me a better indication of the actual or original topic rather than what may be an off-topic post within some random thread that happens to match my search terms.

I agree they are pretty but there are advantages to dynamic urls too. Like easily knowing the tid for any database manipulation in phpmyadmin. Also dynamic urls are shorter in general, will take up less server overhead, and search engines have no problems indexing them.

On a huge forum like mine I'd need dynamic urls with a tid indicator anyways. Otherwise I would have massive repeats. I'd also want removal of common words like "and" or "or".

To be honest I'd be happy using SEO URLs for forumdisplay but not showthread.
(2010-11-18, 05:36 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]To be honest I'd be happy using SEO URLs for forumdisplay but not showthread.
Yep Smile
(2010-11-18, 05:36 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]I agree they are pretty but there are advantages to dynamic urls too. Like easily knowing the tid for any database manipulation in phpmyadmin. Also dynamic urls are shorter in general, will take up less server overhead, and search engines have no problems indexing them.

On a huge forum like mine I'd need dynamic urls with a tid indicator anyways. Otherwise I would have massive repeats. I'd also want removal of common words like "and" or "or".

100% Agree with that Big Grin
ForumDisplay and NOT Showthread (for my Big Forum)
(2010-11-18, 05:36 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-11-18, 04:57 AM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]I like the type of URLs the Google SEO plugin generates due to the fact that it gives me a better indication of the actual or original topic rather than what may be an off-topic post within some random thread that happens to match my search terms.

I agree they are pretty but there are advantages to dynamic urls too. Like easily knowing the tid for any database manipulation in phpmyadmin. Also dynamic urls are shorter in general, will take up less server overhead, and search engines have no problems indexing them.

I do not disagree, its just that when I search for something its nice to know that I have a better chance of finding what I want when the URL shown in the search results includes what I am looking for.

I also agree that keeping common words out of the URL will help shorten URLs but will increase resource use given the extra string replace work needed.

(2010-11-14, 06:13 AM)macdonjo Wrote: [ -> ]When are the Search Engine Friendly urls coming?

About two years ago, I think. One and a half, if you don't count the public beta.

You won't find a better solution, especially not for MyBB.
Pages: 1 2 3