MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: New install help with Admin CP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hmmm.. well I changed it. Strange that the folder wasn't listed in the "Documentation/install.html" with the others.

It still didn't fix my problem. I wonder if I have to do that before I ran the install? Should I delete, re-upload, and re-install mybb again adding 'chmod 777 inc/languages/english/' before the install?

I don't know if there's a way to re-install or update since I've deleted the install/ folder.

Let me know what you think.
I'm off to work... I'll be on later tonight.

Thanks again for your help and ideas! Big Grin
If you didn't setup / run your forum, then grab a new copy of MyBB and re-install the forum again.
(2010-11-14, 06:03 PM)Yaldaram Wrote: [ -> ]If you didn't setup / run your forum, then grab a new copy of MyBB and re-install the forum again.

Yeah I'll try that. Thanks. Smile

I was reading this:
http://wiki.mybb.com/index.php/CHMOD_Files
And didn't see any mention of the folder in question needing to be chmod'd to 777. I did see; however, that it says "Folders usually should be set to 777." would it be safe and / or a good idea to just chmod all folders to 777? Or just 'english'?

Thanks again for your help and I'll try all this tonight or tomorrow morning!
No, don't reinstall your forum. If it's just a recently installed board with no content, then yes: but if you have a lot of content, then don't do this.

Only certain folders need 777 or you run the risk of being hacked. I'm not sure which folders need 777 so you'd best wait for a support team member to post.
What's the CHMOD of ./inc/languages/english/admin ??
(2010-11-14, 09:52 PM)AJS Wrote: [ -> ]What's the CHMOD of ./inc/languages/english/admin ??

Hey! I just changed the folder ./inc/languages/english/admin to chmod 777 and it worked!!! Thanks so much! It was 666 like all the files in it are. I had made all the files in them chmod 666 as instructed in both the "Documentation/install.html" that comes with the zip AND the wiki install page on this site.

Quoting the "Documentation/install.html" file that came with it:
Quote:# CHMOD the following files to 666 (ie, make sure that PHP can write to them).
./inc/settings.php
./inc/config.php (you must rename config.default.php to config.php first)
./inc/languages/*your_language*/*all files* (optional)
./inc/languages/*your_language*/admin/*all files* (optional)

CHMOD the following folders to 777 (ie, make sure that PHP can write to and execute from them).
./cache/
./cache/themes/
./uploads/
./uploads/avatars/
./admin/backups/ (optional)

This file (and the wiki page) states that ./inc/languages/english/admin should be 666, should be 777?

Well 777 made it work. Will you (or someone) let me know if that's what it's supposed to be please?

Also, should I leave .inc/languages/english to 777 also? (since it didn't appear to fix the issue? Is it safe to leave it 777?

May I suggest that it be put in the "Documentation/install.html" file that comes in the zip file and the install page (http://wiki.mybb.com/index.php/CHMOD_Files) as 777 (or whatever it's supposed to be)?

Thanks again for everyone's help Big Grin I really appreciate it! Cool
The documentation doesn't say to change the CHMOD on folders to 666, only files.

It should be 755 really, rather than 777.
(2010-11-14, 04:38 PM)Kyuubi Wrote: [ -> ]The folder should be 777

Why should it...??

./inc/languages/english/ and ./inc/languages/english/admin/ need to be set no higher than 755. If they need to be set to 777 to work for you, ask your host why, they shouldn't be. The files themselves can be 644 or 666, the latter is if you want to be able to edit them in the ACP.
(2010-11-15, 12:49 AM)AJS Wrote: [ -> ]The documentation doesn't say to change the CHMOD on folders to 666, only files.

It should be 755 really, rather than 777.

Excellent. Thank you. I've changed it to 755 and it still works. I'm not exactly sure how the folder itself was changed to 666. Maybe it was a typo with CHMOD both times? I'll have to do some searching to figure out how it got changed to 666 both times during the install. Either way, It's working now and at 755.

Thanks again.

(2010-11-15, 12:08 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-11-14, 04:38 PM)Kyuubi Wrote: [ -> ]The folder should be 777

Why should it...??

./inc/languages/english/ and ./inc/languages/english/admin/ need to be set no higher than 755. If they need to be set to 777 to work for you, ask your host why, they shouldn't be. The files themselves can be 644 or 666, the latter is if you want to be able to edit them in the ACP.

755 is working. Thanks Smile
@Matt: It should be 777 so people can edit the files from the AdminCP.
Pages: 1 2 3