MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Privacy and going a bit too far?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have a question and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to post it here or not, so forgive me if this is the wrong location.

First, hello, my name is Isabel and I'm currently trying out myBB to see if I should move my main forum (currently SMF based) to myBB.

Anyway, I was browsing around this site when I came to the mods section and in that mods section I came to something I found that greatly disturbed me.

[Image: 86688987.jpg]

Ok so... I have to say this because I'm truly against supporting a modification like this. But... really guys? Really?

There is always going to be a way to get some sort of mod that can do this, I understand that. However, it should never be as easy as simply going to the main company's website and clicking the download button.

By such a mod being on the myBB website itself, does it not give the impression that the myBB staff approves of and condones this type of behavior? So, my question is simple. When does community features and support triumph over basic morals?

Someone a lot smarter than myself said something to the effect of:
"Just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should be done." -Somesmartguy
the admin owns the website, database and data on the site. there should be no expectation of any privacy with regard to the admin viewing data on the server.

now, the admin sharing what is read in other's PMs is another thing all together.
While that is true you don't feel like it's morally wrong for anyone to view your private messages, even if it is the admin?
Thats why you gotta be carefull of what you send... This type of mod is great for finding people who advertise. Like pavemen said, its the admin's choice, but if the admin shares the PM's then its violating the user's privacy.
1. When you join a public online forum, all information related to that forum can be if wanted public at the discretion of the admin/owner of the forum.

2. The plugin does not reflect the founders, staff, or anyone related to mybb. Just because they have the plug-in available in the mod database does not mean they support the plugin.

3. You have to remember there are certain type of communities that you should provide your self with a feature like this if needed. The information is only private from other members not the admins. Your thinking about your website/forum. Think about other websites and forums that would save allot of time if they have this feature.
Heres my take:

While technically it is an intrusion of privacy its considered not too big a deal since for one you agree to the terms of the website when you register and part of those terms could mean that the admin has access to all data you post on the forum regardless of whether its private or public and 2. its not like someone's going to be sharing military secrets over PM on a forum right?

Why such a mod??

Heres one scenario: You have users from a rival site registering and PMing existing users to go join the rival site. A mod such as this would come in handy!
This mod just makes it easier even without it I could very easily read anything I wanted to by looking at the DB. No matter what you post on the internet you should expect someone to read it Toungue.
I see a function like this more useful for Marketplace forums.

I've seen people scammed before doing transactions, it's nice for Admins to use for investigating such issues. But only that.
Hmm, perhaps you're all right. I don't know I guess I don't see the great necessity of it. I wouldn't read through the PMs or support this mod that's for sure. But I suppose who am I to question if others want to do that. And yes, true you can view the database. But, well at least I, don't ever go to the database just to fish for PMs.

As for the rival sending PMs to members thing though, members can simply report the PMs to the moderator no? I have that enabled on my forum and at that time and only at that time does the content of the PM become the administrator's business.

I guess it's every admin's right to decide whether they want to use such a feature or not. I still didn't expect myBB to support it though. And yes, by allowing it on their mod site they do imply support for it because they essentially approved it and allowed the content to be viewable on their domain.

If I had a Nazi sign on my forum would it not appear as though I condoned it? Not saying this is as bad as that or anything like that. Meh, it's not going to make me run away from myBB. Just something I didn't expect that's all.
I agree I don't do it and never would in less there was a report or something from one of the members about someone sending spam vis pm or something. However I would probably look through the database as I never had it happen to me to condone a mod for it.
Pages: 1 2 3