MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Forum Etiquette Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I started using forums before there was an Internet with php software. Back then we chatted a lot and thanked people who helped us. After coming to PHP forums I read somewhere that it's bad form to say "thank you" because it's just loads the database with unnecessary posts. So now I'm never sure what to do, and I find myself thanking out of habit but other times holding off thanking. But it doesn't feel right to hold off. Could someone clarify this.
When you're a young forum that's just started, then you should really allow people to make such posts. However, as you grow, try to stop people making such posts and encourage them to give positive reputation to helpful posts Smile
I've always tried to say thank you and feel it brings more the community. If you're to strict it kind of defeats the purpose in many cases (to me anyway). While I can understand it in larger and more professional forums I like the connection part of forums.
"Taking up database space" is a complete BS argument. It will take up a few hundred bytes (if even).
So it looks like it is okay to offer some form of thanks. Also, I'm reminded again about the reputation button. I need to remember it's there.

Thanks for clearing this up.
Always thank, rep if its reallly helpful.
Sincere thanks messages are nice to see.

It annoys me when people just say thanks to increase their post counts Big Grin
Content is king. On my forums if somebody's post just contains "thank you for the information" or "thank you for letting me know" I delete them and 9/10 times they are spammers and get a perma ban anyway. If you really want to thank somebody then contribute to the conversation and then include a thank you. Otherwise if you have nothing to contribute I am sure they would much rather receive a PM with your thanks and the forum staff won't have to worry about whether or not you're a bot/spammer/troll. Wink
(2010-11-16, 10:20 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]Content is king. On my forums if somebody's post just contains "thank you for the information" or "thank you for letting me know" I delete them and 9/10 times they are spammers and get a perma ban anyway. If you really want to thank somebody then contribute to the conversation and then include a thank you. Otherwise if you have nothing to contribute I am sure they would much rather receive a PM with your thanks and the forum staff won't have to worry about whether or not you're a bot/spammer/troll. Wink

thank you for letting me know

Couldn't resist Big Grin
I don't mind if people do it on other forums... just don't let me catch you on any of mine! J/K Toungue