MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Setting initial member group.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am trying to use this to prevent members with zero posts from seeing certain areas, I want for them to automatically be in this group when they join, then be moved to another group when they post in the newbie section, I have a group called "Newbie" how do I make that the group that all members start out in till they post in the newbie section?
The easiest way is to turn the original Registered group into the Newbie group and setup a new Registered group with full permissions.

Otherwise you'd have to edit a core file and make the change again whenever you upgraded.
Oh thanks Smile
Will I have to move everyone who has posted into the registered group? Or will it do that it self?
If you set up your promotions system properly it will be automatic.
Ok I have my registration group called "Newbie" and then I made another group called "Registered" But I made a test account, and it is not changing my test account to "Registered" when I make a post. I took a snap shot to show how I have it set up.
I am also wondering, if there is away to set this up as well so that people with zero posts can't use the "MyShoutbox"? They can read it but not use it.
I don't see how those settings are anything to do with usergroups changing. What have you setup to make it change to Registered when you post...?? Is ./member.php?action=Registered supposed to change the group, or...??
I'm not sure, I reset up the registered group to make it newbies, and made another group called registered, I made the newbies group to only beable to see or post in the Newbie area, but it's not switching it to registered after posting, I'm not sure if there is something else I have to do or not.
You need to create a group promotion.
Sorry, ignore my post, I missed the rest of this thread, for some reason it jumped straight to post #5 when I opened it Confused

OK... I assume you've created the Group Promotion like Dylan said?? If you have, printscreen the settings for that. Note that Group Promotions aren't instant so they wouldn't get promoted straight away.

As for stopping them using MyShoutbox before they get upgraded, if that plugin doesn't have settings to limit who can use it, you'd need extra code for that plugin.
Sorry, I presumed you were already using the group promotions tool so didn't explain that bit. They won't just move automatically, you need to set it up in ACP >> Users & Groups >> Group Promotions
Pages: 1 2